Dec 8, 2009, 11:44 AM EDT
Last night Matthew discussed the Giants’ potential interest in trading for Marlins second baseman Dan Uggla in order to make him their starting left fielder and today MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro writes that the Orioles may also be interested in acquiring him to play a position other than second base. Baltimore reportedly would move Uggla to third base, where he’d replace departing free agent Melvin Mora. Meanwhile, both Uggla and his agent have repeatedly indicated that he wants nothing to do with switching positions.
Frisro notes that the Marlins are “seeking pitching prospects in return for” Uggla, but “there aren’t too many clubs seriously interested in” the two-time All-Star despite three straight 30-homer seasons. Among the reasons for the lack of interest are probably his defense, his salary, and his strikeouts, although perhaps not in that order. Despite the lack of significant interest in Uggla, various reports suggest that the Marlins will end up dealing him at some point this winter.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (210)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)