Dec 8, 2009, 11:44 AM EDT
Last night Matthew discussed the Giants’ potential interest in trading for Marlins second baseman Dan Uggla in order to make him their starting left fielder and today MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro writes that the Orioles may also be interested in acquiring him to play a position other than second base. Baltimore reportedly would move Uggla to third base, where he’d replace departing free agent Melvin Mora. Meanwhile, both Uggla and his agent have repeatedly indicated that he wants nothing to do with switching positions.
Frisro notes that the Marlins are “seeking pitching prospects in return for” Uggla, but “there aren’t too many clubs seriously interested in” the two-time All-Star despite three straight 30-homer seasons. Among the reasons for the lack of interest are probably his defense, his salary, and his strikeouts, although perhaps not in that order. Despite the lack of significant interest in Uggla, various reports suggest that the Marlins will end up dealing him at some point this winter.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)