Dec 8, 2009, 11:44 AM EDT
Last night Matthew discussed the Giants’ potential interest in trading for Marlins second baseman Dan Uggla in order to make him their starting left fielder and today MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro writes that the Orioles may also be interested in acquiring him to play a position other than second base. Baltimore reportedly would move Uggla to third base, where he’d replace departing free agent Melvin Mora. Meanwhile, both Uggla and his agent have repeatedly indicated that he wants nothing to do with switching positions.
Frisro notes that the Marlins are “seeking pitching prospects in return for” Uggla, but “there aren’t too many clubs seriously interested in” the two-time All-Star despite three straight 30-homer seasons. Among the reasons for the lack of interest are probably his defense, his salary, and his strikeouts, although perhaps not in that order. Despite the lack of significant interest in Uggla, various reports suggest that the Marlins will end up dealing him at some point this winter.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 9
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 39
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)