Dec 8, 2009, 11:44 AM EST
Last night Matthew discussed the Giants’ potential interest in trading for Marlins second baseman Dan Uggla in order to make him their starting left fielder and today MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro writes that the Orioles may also be interested in acquiring him to play a position other than second base. Baltimore reportedly would move Uggla to third base, where he’d replace departing free agent Melvin Mora. Meanwhile, both Uggla and his agent have repeatedly indicated that he wants nothing to do with switching positions.
Frisro notes that the Marlins are “seeking pitching prospects in return for” Uggla, but “there aren’t too many clubs seriously interested in” the two-time All-Star despite three straight 30-homer seasons. Among the reasons for the lack of interest are probably his defense, his salary, and his strikeouts, although perhaps not in that order. Despite the lack of significant interest in Uggla, various reports suggest that the Marlins will end up dealing him at some point this winter.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)