Dec 8, 2009, 5:47 PM EST
The Orioles reportedly met with the agents for Cuban defector Aroldis Chapman on Tuesday. According to the Baltimore Sun, Chapman has been “positively inclined” toward the Orioles since the club played the Cuban national team in 1999.
The Phillies, on the other hand, appear to be out of the mix for Chapman. GM Ruben Amaro told the Philadelphia Inquirer that he wouldn’t even send a scout if Chapman set up a showcase for himself later this winter.
It’s a strong contradiction from reports Monday that suggested the Phillies could be a chief rival to the Yankees and Red Sox for Chapman’s services.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)