Dec 8, 2009, 5:47 PM EDT
The Orioles reportedly met with the agents for Cuban defector Aroldis Chapman on Tuesday. According to the Baltimore Sun, Chapman has been “positively inclined” toward the Orioles since the club played the Cuban national team in 1999.
The Phillies, on the other hand, appear to be out of the mix for Chapman. GM Ruben Amaro told the Philadelphia Inquirer that he wouldn’t even send a scout if Chapman set up a showcase for himself later this winter.
It’s a strong contradiction from reports Monday that suggested the Phillies could be a chief rival to the Yankees and Red Sox for Chapman’s services.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 2
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 15
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 20
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 9
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 46
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (245)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)