Dec 8, 2009, 5:47 PM EDT
The Orioles reportedly met with the agents for Cuban defector Aroldis Chapman on Tuesday. According to the Baltimore Sun, Chapman has been “positively inclined” toward the Orioles since the club played the Cuban national team in 1999.
The Phillies, on the other hand, appear to be out of the mix for Chapman. GM Ruben Amaro told the Philadelphia Inquirer that he wouldn’t even send a scout if Chapman set up a showcase for himself later this winter.
It’s a strong contradiction from reports Monday that suggested the Phillies could be a chief rival to the Yankees and Red Sox for Chapman’s services.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (188)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)