Dec 8, 2009, 5:47 PM EDT
The Orioles reportedly met with the agents for Cuban defector Aroldis Chapman on Tuesday. According to the Baltimore Sun, Chapman has been “positively inclined” toward the Orioles since the club played the Cuban national team in 1999.
The Phillies, on the other hand, appear to be out of the mix for Chapman. GM Ruben Amaro told the Philadelphia Inquirer that he wouldn’t even send a scout if Chapman set up a showcase for himself later this winter.
It’s a strong contradiction from reports Monday that suggested the Phillies could be a chief rival to the Yankees and Red Sox for Chapman’s services.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)