Dec 8, 2009, 4:35 PM EST
SI.com’s Jon Heyman tweets that he’s hearing the Red Sox won’t surrender either Clay Buchholz or Casey Kelly in a deal for Roy Halladay.
So what is the market for Halladay now? The Dodgers and Phillies don’t seem to have the cash, and no one thinks think Monday’s rumor sending him to the Rays had anything behind it.
The Yankees still have the talent to bring in Halladay even after landing Curtis Granderson — two players from the group of Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain and Jesus Montero would be plenty sufficient — but if they really want to roll back payroll, it’d be hard to accomplish with Halladay on the books.
The Angels and Mets are two possibilities, perhaps even the top two at this point. The Angels can surrender prospects along with either Joe Saunders or Ervin Santana. The Mets don’t have as much to offer, but Mike Pelfrey and Fernando Martinez could be put on the table. The Red Sox would have a very, very difficult time doing a deal without Buchholz or Kelly.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)