Dec 8, 2009, 5:14 PM EDT
The Chicago Sun-Times is reporting that the Cubs and an undisclosed AL team are close to agreeing to a Milton Bradley deal, one that could be finished up tonight.
The report labels it as a surprise team, which should rule out the most popular suitors: Tampa Bay and Texas.
Who does that leave?
Toronto - There was talk last month of a three-team deal involving Bradley and Lyle Overbay, but the Cubs have no use for Overbay and the Jays should have little desire for Bradley’s contract.
Los Angeles - It’d make a lot of sense on the field, as the Angels could have Bradley and Juan Rivera rotate back and forth between DH and left field. It’d also make sense financially if Gary Matthews Jr. were involved. Still, taking on Bradley is a risk a team in the Angels’ position doesn’t need.
Seattle - Bradley for Carlos Silva?
Oakland - Billy Beane has already tried this one. It didn’t work out, though that was largely because Bradley was unhappy as a part-time player.
Kansas City? The other Chicago team? I’d rule out Boston, New York, Minnesota and Cleveland, but if it’s a surprise team, anything else presents some sort of fit.
Update – Yahoo! Sports’ Tim Brown tweets that the Mariners and Cubs are indeed discussing a Bradley-Silva swap, but that nothing is imminent.
Update 2 – But the Chicago Sun-Times has a “high-level Seattle source” shooting down the Bradley-Silva rumor.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 1
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 20
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 8
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 44
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (245)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)