Dec 8, 2009, 5:14 PM EDT
The Chicago Sun-Times is reporting that the Cubs and an undisclosed AL team are close to agreeing to a Milton Bradley deal, one that could be finished up tonight.
The report labels it as a surprise team, which should rule out the most popular suitors: Tampa Bay and Texas.
Who does that leave?
Toronto - There was talk last month of a three-team deal involving Bradley and Lyle Overbay, but the Cubs have no use for Overbay and the Jays should have little desire for Bradley’s contract.
Los Angeles - It’d make a lot of sense on the field, as the Angels could have Bradley and Juan Rivera rotate back and forth between DH and left field. It’d also make sense financially if Gary Matthews Jr. were involved. Still, taking on Bradley is a risk a team in the Angels’ position doesn’t need.
Seattle - Bradley for Carlos Silva?
Oakland - Billy Beane has already tried this one. It didn’t work out, though that was largely because Bradley was unhappy as a part-time player.
Kansas City? The other Chicago team? I’d rule out Boston, New York, Minnesota and Cleveland, but if it’s a surprise team, anything else presents some sort of fit.
Update – Yahoo! Sports’ Tim Brown tweets that the Mariners and Cubs are indeed discussing a Bradley-Silva swap, but that nothing is imminent.
Update 2 – But the Chicago Sun-Times has a “high-level Seattle source” shooting down the Bradley-Silva rumor.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 45
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)