Dec 8, 2009, 5:14 PM EDT
The Chicago Sun-Times is reporting that the Cubs and an undisclosed AL team are close to agreeing to a Milton Bradley deal, one that could be finished up tonight.
The report labels it as a surprise team, which should rule out the most popular suitors: Tampa Bay and Texas.
Who does that leave?
Toronto - There was talk last month of a three-team deal involving Bradley and Lyle Overbay, but the Cubs have no use for Overbay and the Jays should have little desire for Bradley’s contract.
Los Angeles - It’d make a lot of sense on the field, as the Angels could have Bradley and Juan Rivera rotate back and forth between DH and left field. It’d also make sense financially if Gary Matthews Jr. were involved. Still, taking on Bradley is a risk a team in the Angels’ position doesn’t need.
Seattle - Bradley for Carlos Silva?
Oakland - Billy Beane has already tried this one. It didn’t work out, though that was largely because Bradley was unhappy as a part-time player.
Kansas City? The other Chicago team? I’d rule out Boston, New York, Minnesota and Cleveland, but if it’s a surprise team, anything else presents some sort of fit.
Update – Yahoo! Sports’ Tim Brown tweets that the Mariners and Cubs are indeed discussing a Bradley-Silva swap, but that nothing is imminent.
Update 2 – But the Chicago Sun-Times has a “high-level Seattle source” shooting down the Bradley-Silva rumor.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)