Dec 8, 2009, 5:14 PM EDT
The Chicago Sun-Times is reporting that the Cubs and an undisclosed AL team are close to agreeing to a Milton Bradley deal, one that could be finished up tonight.
The report labels it as a surprise team, which should rule out the most popular suitors: Tampa Bay and Texas.
Who does that leave?
Toronto – There was talk last month of a three-team deal involving Bradley and Lyle Overbay, but the Cubs have no use for Overbay and the Jays should have little desire for Bradley’s contract.
Los Angeles – It’d make a lot of sense on the field, as the Angels could have Bradley and Juan Rivera rotate back and forth between DH and left field. It’d also make sense financially if Gary Matthews Jr. were involved. Still, taking on Bradley is a risk a team in the Angels’ position doesn’t need.
Seattle – Bradley for Carlos Silva?
Oakland – Billy Beane has already tried this one. It didn’t work out, though that was largely because Bradley was unhappy as a part-time player.
Kansas City? The other Chicago team? I’d rule out Boston, New York, Minnesota and Cleveland, but if it’s a surprise team, anything else presents some sort of fit.
Update – Yahoo! Sports’ Tim Brown tweets that the Mariners and Cubs are indeed discussing a Bradley-Silva swap, but that nothing is imminent.
Update 2 – But the Chicago Sun-Times has a “high-level Seattle source” shooting down the Bradley-Silva rumor.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 62
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 41
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)