Dec 8, 2009, 5:14 PM EDT
The Chicago Sun-Times is reporting that the Cubs and an undisclosed AL team are close to agreeing to a Milton Bradley deal, one that could be finished up tonight.
The report labels it as a surprise team, which should rule out the most popular suitors: Tampa Bay and Texas.
Who does that leave?
Toronto – There was talk last month of a three-team deal involving Bradley and Lyle Overbay, but the Cubs have no use for Overbay and the Jays should have little desire for Bradley’s contract.
Los Angeles – It’d make a lot of sense on the field, as the Angels could have Bradley and Juan Rivera rotate back and forth between DH and left field. It’d also make sense financially if Gary Matthews Jr. were involved. Still, taking on Bradley is a risk a team in the Angels’ position doesn’t need.
Seattle – Bradley for Carlos Silva?
Oakland – Billy Beane has already tried this one. It didn’t work out, though that was largely because Bradley was unhappy as a part-time player.
Kansas City? The other Chicago team? I’d rule out Boston, New York, Minnesota and Cleveland, but if it’s a surprise team, anything else presents some sort of fit.
Update – Yahoo! Sports’ Tim Brown tweets that the Mariners and Cubs are indeed discussing a Bradley-Silva swap, but that nothing is imminent.
Update 2 – But the Chicago Sun-Times has a “high-level Seattle source” shooting down the Bradley-Silva rumor.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (252)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)