Dec 8, 2009, 3:03 PM EST
USA TODAY’s Bob Nightengale reports that the Giants have engaged the Padres on Kevin Kouzmanoff, though they haven’t come close to meeting the asking price yet.
It’d be of little surprise in one of new Padres GM Jed Hoyer’s first moves was to shed Kouzmanoff. The 28-year-old has some ability to hit for average and power, but his lousy approach at the plate has resulted in OBPs of .299 and .302 the last two years. Plus, the Padres have Chase Headley capable of stepping at third base.
According to Nightengale, the Giants are trying to swap two players they have no further use for — Fred Lewis and Kevin Frandsen — for Kouzmanoff. That’s not going to work, but the Padres probably would listen if they start talking prospects instead. They could also have some interest in Nate Schierholtz and/or John Bowker. Minnesota and Houston could be other possible destinations for Kouzmanoff. He’s still three years away from free agency and he shouldn’t make more than $2.5 million in arbitration, so he should have some value on the trade market.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)