Dec 8, 2009, 5:02 PM EDT
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports that the Mariners may prefer Mike Cameron to Jason Bay as they seek to fill their void in left field.
Sources told Rosenthal that the Mariners’ interest in Bay has been “overstated,” and that the team is concerned about how his glove would play in Safeco’s big left field. GM Jack Zduriencik has emphasized defense repeatedly since taking over the team and may well prefer Cameron on a short-term deal than Bay on a contract that would almost surely last four or five years.
If the Mariners aren’t going to make a push for Bay, that would seem to leave the Angels as the top competitor with the Red Sox for his services.
Rosenthal lists the Cubs, Red Sox and Yankees as other suitors for Cameron, though the Yanks would seem to have him on the backburner now that they have Curtis Granderson to start in center. Perhaps they’d still consider him if Johnny Damon leaves, but Cameron seems likely to sign before Damon does. It’s been assumed that the Cubs would snatch him up quickly if they could just move Milton Bradley first.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)