Dec 8, 2009, 5:02 PM EDT
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports that the Mariners may prefer Mike Cameron to Jason Bay as they seek to fill their void in left field.
Sources told Rosenthal that the Mariners’ interest in Bay has been “overstated,” and that the team is concerned about how his glove would play in Safeco’s big left field. GM Jack Zduriencik has emphasized defense repeatedly since taking over the team and may well prefer Cameron on a short-term deal than Bay on a contract that would almost surely last four or five years.
If the Mariners aren’t going to make a push for Bay, that would seem to leave the Angels as the top competitor with the Red Sox for his services.
Rosenthal lists the Cubs, Red Sox and Yankees as other suitors for Cameron, though the Yanks would seem to have him on the backburner now that they have Curtis Granderson to start in center. Perhaps they’d still consider him if Johnny Damon leaves, but Cameron seems likely to sign before Damon does. It’s been assumed that the Cubs would snatch him up quickly if they could just move Milton Bradley first.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)