Dec 8, 2009, 5:02 PM EDT
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports that the Mariners may prefer Mike Cameron to Jason Bay as they seek to fill their void in left field.
Sources told Rosenthal that the Mariners’ interest in Bay has been “overstated,” and that the team is concerned about how his glove would play in Safeco’s big left field. GM Jack Zduriencik has emphasized defense repeatedly since taking over the team and may well prefer Cameron on a short-term deal than Bay on a contract that would almost surely last four or five years.
If the Mariners aren’t going to make a push for Bay, that would seem to leave the Angels as the top competitor with the Red Sox for his services.
Rosenthal lists the Cubs, Red Sox and Yankees as other suitors for Cameron, though the Yanks would seem to have him on the backburner now that they have Curtis Granderson to start in center. Perhaps they’d still consider him if Johnny Damon leaves, but Cameron seems likely to sign before Damon does. It’s been assumed that the Cubs would snatch him up quickly if they could just move Milton Bradley first.
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 1
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 45
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (143)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (99)