Dec 8, 2009, 5:02 PM EDT
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal reports that the Mariners may prefer Mike Cameron to Jason Bay as they seek to fill their void in left field.
Sources told Rosenthal that the Mariners’ interest in Bay has been “overstated,” and that the team is concerned about how his glove would play in Safeco’s big left field. GM Jack Zduriencik has emphasized defense repeatedly since taking over the team and may well prefer Cameron on a short-term deal than Bay on a contract that would almost surely last four or five years.
If the Mariners aren’t going to make a push for Bay, that would seem to leave the Angels as the top competitor with the Red Sox for his services.
Rosenthal lists the Cubs, Red Sox and Yankees as other suitors for Cameron, though the Yanks would seem to have him on the backburner now that they have Curtis Granderson to start in center. Perhaps they’d still consider him if Johnny Damon leaves, but Cameron seems likely to sign before Damon does. It’s been assumed that the Cubs would snatch him up quickly if they could just move Milton Bradley first.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights