Dec 8, 2009, 8:44 PM EST
The Boston Herald’s Michael Silverman says the Red Sox did discuss Curtis Granderson with the Tigers before the still unfinalized trade with the Yankees took place, but that Detroit requested both Jacoby Ellsbury and Clay Buchholz in return.
If that seems like a substantially higher price than the Yankees paid, well, that’s mostly because it is. Ellsbury doesn’t quite qualify as a star, but he was a better player than Granderson while hitting .301/.355/.415 with 70 steals last season and he’s going to be much cheaper than Granderson going forward. Buchholz probably wouldn’t have been on the table, either, so it’s doubtful any match would have been found even if the Yankees talks had broken down.
If the Red Sox were truly interested in Granderson, it suggests that there’s a real chance that they could sign Mike Cameron, with the idea of playing Ellsbury in left field. Cameron isn’t as dynamic as Granderson, but he’s the more well rounded player and he’d only require a one- or two-year contract. He’s a definite option for Boston if Jason Bay leaves..
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)