Dec 8, 2009, 1:07 PM EST
I just took a break from reading everyone’s tweets and admiring Mel Antonen’s haircut to walk over to the Convention Center to check out the Trade Show. It’s really something to behold.
Geared more towards the minor leagues than the majors, the Trade Show is where some 300 exhibitors hawk wares ranging from caps, blankets, foam fingers, shot glasses, sports insurance, stadium architecture, concessions, bats, stadium seats, uniforms and any number of other odd things.
There are mascot costumes. There are fireworks — like the big kind that shoot up into the sky. There’s an accounting firm that specializes in valuing minor league franchises. There’s a particularly spartan and serious booth set up by the Major League Baseball Department of Investigations, which is basically the group to whom you rat out teammates when you see horse hormones in their locker or when you just found out your manager threw the ballgame because he’s into that bookie Lazar for ten large. I got one of their cards — complete with the hotline number. Next summer, let me know if you guys need anyone from your favorite team to be mysteriously suspended. I think I can make it happen.
Best booth by far: a company that hires out between-inning entertainment like “Breakin’ B-Boy McCoy,” the break dancing bat boy. Hey! He’s going to be in Columbus on June 11th next year! I’m so there!
Most importantly, however, there’s a booth set up by Jack Daniels. Yes, it is by the front door. Yes, I assume that it’s located there so that people are able to get their drink on before deciding whether or not they should buy stuff like this.
Crap. I bought two. What am I gonna do with the second one?
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 129
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 30
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 35
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (129)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)