The Baseball Trade Show is insane

Dec 8, 2009, 1:07 PM EDT

I just took a break from reading everyone’s tweets and admiring Mel Antonen’s haircut to walk over to the Convention Center to check out the Trade Show.  It’s really something to behold.

Geared more towards the minor leagues than the majors, the Trade Show is where some 300 exhibitors hawk wares ranging from caps, blankets, foam fingers, shot glasses, sports insurance, stadium architecture, concessions, bats, stadium seats, uniforms and any number of other odd things.

There are mascot costumes. There are fireworks — like the big kind that shoot up into the sky.  There’s an accounting firm that specializes in valuing minor league franchises. There’s a particularly spartan and serious booth set up by the Major League Baseball Department of Investigations, which is basically the group to whom you rat out teammates when you see horse hormones in their locker or when you just found out your manager threw the ballgame because he’s into that bookie Lazar for ten large. I got one of their cards — complete with the hotline number.  Next summer, let me know if you guys need anyone from your favorite team to be mysteriously suspended. I think I can make it happen.

Best booth by far: a company that hires out between-inning entertainment like “Breakin’ B-Boy McCoy,” the break dancing bat boy. Hey! He’s going to be in Columbus on June 11th next year! I’m so there!

Most importantly, however, there’s a booth set up by Jack Daniels. Yes, it is by the front door. Yes, I assume that it’s located there so that people are able to get their drink on before deciding whether or not they should buy stuff like this.

Crap. I bought two. What am I gonna do with the second one?

1. lar @ wezen-ball - Dec 8, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Hold on – you can buy as many of the “World’s Largest Jersey” as you want? That seems to diminish the greatness of that claim…
    Oh, and did you get to stop by Booth 435 for some free candy (http://twitter.com/sabr/status/6464531521)?

2. Wooden U. Lykteneau - Dec 8, 2009 at 1:25 PM

But did you get funky with Myron Noodleman?

3. Mark Runsvold - Dec 8, 2009 at 2:10 PM

I’ve just created the World’s Largest Baseball Player, so… Synergy is all I’m saying, Craig.

4. Dayn Perry - Dec 8, 2009 at 2:12 PM

I look forward to your many future uses of the “Breakin’ B-Boy McCoy” tag.

5. Craig Calcaterra - Dec 8, 2009 at 2:15 PM

It’s a race to see if that or the “nude ballplayers” tag I made up for the Sizemore story gets reused first. And believe me: I would NOT have made the tag if I did not intend to reuse them.

6. smsetnor - Dec 8, 2009 at 7:07 PM

We have one of those giant jerseys with the Braves. People walk up excitedly and ask me what it does. My response is generally, “Umm. It’s just a giant jersey. It just sits there.” That’s when everyone walks away disappointed. Except for Japanese fans. They ask me to take their picture with the jersey. I freaking love the Japanese. Don’t know if I’ve shared that before…

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. G. Stanton (3944)