Dec 8, 2009, 8:00 AM EDT
Is Alex Anthopoulos. Seeing the Blue Jays’ GM is like trying to get in to see the Beatles at the Waldorf Astoria before they went on the Ed Sullivan Show in ’64. I’m pretty sure there are beat writers hiding in room service carts and everything.
One thing Anthopoulos has asked of other GMs is for them to come to his
suite, not the other way around. Anthopoulos has also limited the
number of people allowed into the room to one or two at a time — a way
to keep conversations focused and an attempt to stop leaks to the media
— and he said all of the GMs have been receptive to the approach.
“I asked politely if they had any problem with it — no one has,” said Anthopoulos.
Of course, that didn’t stop people from seeing Ned Colletti go into Anthopoulous’ suite, setting off Halladay-to-the-Dodgers rumors, and it won’t stop folks from watching the door today, tomorrow and Thursday too. Here’s a tip if you really want secrecy, Alex: use a phone. Meet in conference room with more than one door. Change it up a bit, because we’re all on to you.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 50
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 27
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)