Dec 8, 2009, 8:00 AM EST
Is Alex Anthopoulos. Seeing the Blue Jays’ GM is like trying to get in to see the Beatles at the Waldorf Astoria before they went on the Ed Sullivan Show in ’64. I’m pretty sure there are beat writers hiding in room service carts and everything.
One thing Anthopoulos has asked of other GMs is for them to come to his
suite, not the other way around. Anthopoulos has also limited the
number of people allowed into the room to one or two at a time — a way
to keep conversations focused and an attempt to stop leaks to the media
— and he said all of the GMs have been receptive to the approach.
“I asked politely if they had any problem with it — no one has,” said Anthopoulos.
Of course, that didn’t stop people from seeing Ned Colletti go into Anthopoulous’ suite, setting off Halladay-to-the-Dodgers rumors, and it won’t stop folks from watching the door today, tomorrow and Thursday too. Here’s a tip if you really want secrecy, Alex: use a phone. Meet in conference room with more than one door. Change it up a bit, because we’re all on to you.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)