Dec 8, 2009, 8:30 AM EDT
The Indians — who are not likely to be the sort of team who needs a big money closer in 2010 — would love to try and deal Kerry Wood this week, says Paul Hoynes of the Plain Dealer.
Wood is floating in a sea of relief pitchers — which includes Fernando Rodney, Brandon Lyon, Mike Gonzalez, Kevin Gregg, LaTroy Hawkins and Jose Valverde — most of whom can be had for less than the ten million a year Wood is owed next season. What’s more, the Indians aren’t willing to eat any of that money. In light of all of that, why oh why would the Indians think they could actually deal the guy?
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 8
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 13
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)