Dec 8, 2009, 8:30 AM EDT
The Indians — who are not likely to be the sort of team who needs a big money closer in 2010 — would love to try and deal Kerry Wood this week, says Paul Hoynes of the Plain Dealer.
Wood is floating in a sea of relief pitchers — which includes Fernando Rodney, Brandon Lyon, Mike Gonzalez, Kevin Gregg, LaTroy Hawkins and Jose Valverde — most of whom can be had for less than the ten million a year Wood is owed next season. What’s more, the Indians aren’t willing to eat any of that money. In light of all of that, why oh why would the Indians think they could actually deal the guy?
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (250)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)