Dec 8, 2009, 5:01 PM EDT
The best evidence that Major League Baseball needs to re-think the whole structure of the Winter Meetings is taking place in front of me as I type this: up on the stage, the Mariners are officially announcing the Chone Figgins signing. The signing that everyone has known about for several days.
To be sure, there is something new: it’s a four year deal with an option year added. No one has mentioned the option, I don’t think. So thanks.
But if we’ve learned anything this week, we’ve learned that the baseball world now moves much faster than the speed of press release. In light of this, the official announcement is quaint, bordering on the superfluous.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8