Dec 8, 2009, 5:01 PM EDT
The best evidence that Major League Baseball needs to re-think the whole structure of the Winter Meetings is taking place in front of me as I type this: up on the stage, the Mariners are officially announcing the Chone Figgins signing. The signing that everyone has known about for several days.
To be sure, there is something new: it’s a four year deal with an option year added. No one has mentioned the option, I don’t think. So thanks.
But if we’ve learned anything this week, we’ve learned that the baseball world now moves much faster than the speed of press release. In light of this, the official announcement is quaint, bordering on the superfluous.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)