Dec 8, 2009, 5:01 PM EDT
The best evidence that Major League Baseball needs to re-think the whole structure of the Winter Meetings is taking place in front of me as I type this: up on the stage, the Mariners are officially announcing the Chone Figgins signing. The signing that everyone has known about for several days.
To be sure, there is something new: it’s a four year deal with an option year added. No one has mentioned the option, I don’t think. So thanks.
But if we’ve learned anything this week, we’ve learned that the baseball world now moves much faster than the speed of press release. In light of this, the official announcement is quaint, bordering on the superfluous.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 102
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)