Dec 8, 2009, 5:01 PM EDT
The best evidence that Major League Baseball needs to re-think the whole structure of the Winter Meetings is taking place in front of me as I type this: up on the stage, the Mariners are officially announcing the Chone Figgins signing. The signing that everyone has known about for several days.
To be sure, there is something new: it’s a four year deal with an option year added. No one has mentioned the option, I don’t think. So thanks.
But if we’ve learned anything this week, we’ve learned that the baseball world now moves much faster than the speed of press release. In light of this, the official announcement is quaint, bordering on the superfluous.
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 2
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 11
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 71
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 24
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)