Dec 8, 2009, 5:47 PM EST
We’ve had all day to assimilate it, but no one around here has yet to make sense of the Nationals giving Pudge Rodriguez two years and $6 million. So someone finally decided to ask the Nats about it. The response, not for attribution apparently, is that Pudge had offers – note the plural — from other teams at more than $3 million a year, and that to get the deal done, they had to add the second year.
Who are these mystery teams? The Fantasyland Fighters? The Hallucinationtown Hornets? The Holy Crap I’ve Got to Justify This Somehow So I May As Well Lie-Burg All-Stars?
Funny. I didn’t think any of them needed an old, can’t-hit-no-more catcher either.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 21
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 28
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)