Dec 8, 2009, 5:47 PM EST
We’ve had all day to assimilate it, but no one around here has yet to make sense of the Nationals giving Pudge Rodriguez two years and $6 million. So someone finally decided to ask the Nats about it. The response, not for attribution apparently, is that Pudge had offers – note the plural — from other teams at more than $3 million a year, and that to get the deal done, they had to add the second year.
Who are these mystery teams? The Fantasyland Fighters? The Hallucinationtown Hornets? The Holy Crap I’ve Got to Justify This Somehow So I May As Well Lie-Burg All-Stars?
Funny. I didn’t think any of them needed an old, can’t-hit-no-more catcher either.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)