Dec 8, 2009, 5:47 PM EDT
We’ve had all day to assimilate it, but no one around here has yet to make sense of the Nationals giving Pudge Rodriguez two years and $6 million. So someone finally decided to ask the Nats about it. The response, not for attribution apparently, is that Pudge had offers — note the plural — from other teams at more than $3 million a year, and that to get the deal done, they had to add the second year.
Who are these mystery teams? The Fantasyland Fighters? The Hallucinationtown Hornets? The Holy Crap I’ve Got to Justify This Somehow So I May As Well Lie-Burg All-Stars?
Funny. I didn’t think any of them needed an old, can’t-hit-no-more catcher either.
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)