Dec 8, 2009, 5:47 PM EDT
We’ve had all day to assimilate it, but no one around here has yet to make sense of the Nationals giving Pudge Rodriguez two years and $6 million. So someone finally decided to ask the Nats about it. The response, not for attribution apparently, is that Pudge had offers — note the plural — from other teams at more than $3 million a year, and that to get the deal done, they had to add the second year.
Who are these mystery teams? The Fantasyland Fighters? The Hallucinationtown Hornets? The Holy Crap I’ve Got to Justify This Somehow So I May As Well Lie-Burg All-Stars?
Funny. I didn’t think any of them needed an old, can’t-hit-no-more catcher either.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)