Dec 8, 2009, 5:47 PM EDT
We’ve had all day to assimilate it, but no one around here has yet to make sense of the Nationals giving Pudge Rodriguez two years and $6 million. So someone finally decided to ask the Nats about it. The response, not for attribution apparently, is that Pudge had offers — note the plural — from other teams at more than $3 million a year, and that to get the deal done, they had to add the second year.
Who are these mystery teams? The Fantasyland Fighters? The Hallucinationtown Hornets? The Holy Crap I’ve Got to Justify This Somehow So I May As Well Lie-Burg All-Stars?
Funny. I didn’t think any of them needed an old, can’t-hit-no-more catcher either.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)