Dec 8, 2009, 8:40 AM EDT
Last year the relationship between the Red Sox and Daisuke Matsuzaka got icy. Over his conditioning, mostly, but the problem may have been exacerbated by cultural stuff and the fact that Dice-K was away for the WBC in the spring.
That’s all better now, reports Pete Abraham. Terry Francona: “We kind of put the gloves down and told him how we felt and he told us.
I think it was really good for everybody. We had probably gotten to the
point where we needed to have pretty direct conversations. And from him
to us, also. I think it was good.” Theo Epstein: “We’re going to have a full infrastructure in place for all our Japanese
players and a full infrastructure in place for all our pitchers.
Daisuke will work with our training staff and work with our pitching
A functioning and effective Matsuzaka will make a big difference for a Red Sox team that had a putative pitching surplus basically disappear over the summer.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 37
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 55
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)