Dec 8, 2009, 8:40 AM EDT
Last year the relationship between the Red Sox and Daisuke Matsuzaka got icy. Over his conditioning, mostly, but the problem may have been exacerbated by cultural stuff and the fact that Dice-K was away for the WBC in the spring.
That’s all better now, reports Pete Abraham. Terry Francona: “We kind of put the gloves down and told him how we felt and he told us.
I think it was really good for everybody. We had probably gotten to the
point where we needed to have pretty direct conversations. And from him
to us, also. I think it was good.” Theo Epstein: “We’re going to have a full infrastructure in place for all our Japanese
players and a full infrastructure in place for all our pitchers.
Daisuke will work with our training staff and work with our pitching
A functioning and effective Matsuzaka will make a big difference for a Red Sox team that had a putative pitching surplus basically disappear over the summer.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 78
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)