Dec 8, 2009, 3:45 PM EDT
Much like the Braves cutting Ryan Church earlier this afternoon to make room for Rafael Soriano after he surprisingly accepted arbitration, the Twins have designated Boof Bonser for assignment to clear a 40-man roster spot for Carl Pavano.
Pavano accepted the Twins’ arbitration offer before yesterday’s midnight deadline, essentially agreeing to remain in Minnesota on a one-year deal for an as-yet-undetermined salary. With the Rule 5 draft coming Thursday morning the Twins had to drop someone from the 40-man roster and choose Bonser, who missed all of 2009 following shoulder surgery.
Bonser would have been arbitration eligible for the first time despite sitting out the entire season, but the Twins decided against retaining him for what likely would have been around $1 million. Bonser pitched his way out of the Twins’ rotation in 2008 and is obviously a big question mark for 2010, but prior to the injury he showed some promise as a reliever, posting a 55/16 K/BB ratio in 52 innings. Expect the 28-year-old right-hander to land elsewhere on a minor-league deal with an invite to spring training.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 5
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 99
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (99)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Bruins-Rangers
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks look to even series with Red Wings
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1