Dec 8, 2009, 3:45 PM EDT
Much like the Braves cutting Ryan Church earlier this afternoon to make room for Rafael Soriano after he surprisingly accepted arbitration, the Twins have designated Boof Bonser for assignment to clear a 40-man roster spot for Carl Pavano.
Pavano accepted the Twins’ arbitration offer before yesterday’s midnight deadline, essentially agreeing to remain in Minnesota on a one-year deal for an as-yet-undetermined salary. With the Rule 5 draft coming Thursday morning the Twins had to drop someone from the 40-man roster and choose Bonser, who missed all of 2009 following shoulder surgery.
Bonser would have been arbitration eligible for the first time despite sitting out the entire season, but the Twins decided against retaining him for what likely would have been around $1 million. Bonser pitched his way out of the Twins’ rotation in 2008 and is obviously a big question mark for 2010, but prior to the injury he showed some promise as a reliever, posting a 55/16 K/BB ratio in 52 innings. Expect the 28-year-old right-hander to land elsewhere on a minor-league deal with an invite to spring training.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 36
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 68
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 118
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (282)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (118)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)