Dec 8, 2009, 1:40 PM EST
Mark Teahen and the White Sox have agreed to a three-year, $14 million contract, which will cover his remaining two seasons of arbitration eligibility and buy out his first year of free agency.
That’s a lot of money for mediocrity, but comes as no surprise given the oddly prevalent notion that Teahen is somehow an impact player. Acquired from the Royals last month for Josh Fields and Chris Getz, Teahen is slated to be the White Sox’s everyday third baseman in 2010 with Gordon Beckham sliding across the diamond to second base.
His defense is below average at third base and Teahen’s bat hardly makes up for the bad glove, as he hit just .271/.325/.408 in 2009 and a combined .270/.330/.407 over the past three seasons. That works out to a .737 OPS from 2007-2009, whereas the average MLB third baseman had a .757 OPS in 2009. Similarly, he’s been 10 runs below average per 150 games at third base according to Ultimate Zone Rating.
He’s certainly a useful player, but as a starting third baseman Teahen is solidly below average on both sides of the ball. Committing to him through 2012 at annual salaries of $3.75 million, $4.75 million, and $5.5 million locks the White Sox into a player who’s far from building-block caliber and eats up a sizable chunk of their payroll for little impact.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 30
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 83
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)