Dec 8, 2009, 1:40 PM EST
Mark Teahen and the White Sox have agreed to a three-year, $14 million contract, which will cover his remaining two seasons of arbitration eligibility and buy out his first year of free agency.
That’s a lot of money for mediocrity, but comes as no surprise given the oddly prevalent notion that Teahen is somehow an impact player. Acquired from the Royals last month for Josh Fields and Chris Getz, Teahen is slated to be the White Sox’s everyday third baseman in 2010 with Gordon Beckham sliding across the diamond to second base.
His defense is below average at third base and Teahen’s bat hardly makes up for the bad glove, as he hit just .271/.325/.408 in 2009 and a combined .270/.330/.407 over the past three seasons. That works out to a .737 OPS from 2007-2009, whereas the average MLB third baseman had a .757 OPS in 2009. Similarly, he’s been 10 runs below average per 150 games at third base according to Ultimate Zone Rating.
He’s certainly a useful player, but as a starting third baseman Teahen is solidly below average on both sides of the ball. Committing to him through 2012 at annual salaries of $3.75 million, $4.75 million, and $5.5 million locks the White Sox into a player who’s far from building-block caliber and eats up a sizable chunk of their payroll for little impact.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)