Dec 8, 2009, 11:07 AM EST
Whitey Herzog is in the press room for his welcome-to-the-Hall-of-Fame press conference. I’m a huge Whitey Herzog fan. I grew up in the 80s, so his legend loomed large. Just because I’m in the press room doesn’t mean I’m not still a fan, so I went up to him.
Me: “Whitey, can I get a picture?”
Whitey: “If you got a camera you can.”
Anyway, Herzog and fellow inductee Doug Harvey are on the dais now, with Jane Forbes Clark putting their Hall of Fame jerseys and caps on them. I’m waiting for an argument to break out between Herzog and Harvey.
If anyone says anything really interesting during the press conference, I’ll post it shortly.
UPDATE: Asked if he and Harvey can be friends now that they’re both being inducted (Harvey ran Whitey A LOT when they were active). Harvey is sitting right next to Herzog, and Herzog says “Doug was the worst damn weatherman ever. For Christ’s sake, Doug, when we get to Cooperstown next summer, don’t put the tarp on the field. And don’t kick me out of the damn Hall of Fame, OK?”
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)