Dec 8, 2009, 11:07 AM EDT
Whitey Herzog is in the press room for his welcome-to-the-Hall-of-Fame press conference. I’m a huge Whitey Herzog fan. I grew up in the 80s, so his legend loomed large. Just because I’m in the press room doesn’t mean I’m not still a fan, so I went up to him.
Me: “Whitey, can I get a picture?”
Whitey: “If you got a camera you can.”
Anyway, Herzog and fellow inductee Doug Harvey are on the dais now, with Jane Forbes Clark putting their Hall of Fame jerseys and caps on them. I’m waiting for an argument to break out between Herzog and Harvey.
If anyone says anything really interesting during the press conference, I’ll post it shortly.
UPDATE: Asked if he and Harvey can be friends now that they’re both being inducted (Harvey ran Whitey A LOT when they were active). Harvey is sitting right next to Herzog, and Herzog says “Doug was the worst damn weatherman ever. For Christ’s sake, Doug, when we get to Cooperstown next summer, don’t put the tarp on the field. And don’t kick me out of the damn Hall of Fame, OK?”
- Ryne Sandberg opines on baseball’s steroid era 21
- Watch David Wells’ perfect game from 15 years ago today 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 61
- Army Lt. Col. surprises daughter on ceremonial first pitch 34
- Bryce Harper in Nationals’ lineup for first time since crashing into right field wall 8
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness