Dec 8, 2009, 11:07 AM EDT
Whitey Herzog is in the press room for his welcome-to-the-Hall-of-Fame press conference. I’m a huge Whitey Herzog fan. I grew up in the 80s, so his legend loomed large. Just because I’m in the press room doesn’t mean I’m not still a fan, so I went up to him.
Me: “Whitey, can I get a picture?”
Whitey: “If you got a camera you can.”
Anyway, Herzog and fellow inductee Doug Harvey are on the dais now, with Jane Forbes Clark putting their Hall of Fame jerseys and caps on them. I’m waiting for an argument to break out between Herzog and Harvey.
If anyone says anything really interesting during the press conference, I’ll post it shortly.
UPDATE: Asked if he and Harvey can be friends now that they’re both being inducted (Harvey ran Whitey A LOT when they were active). Harvey is sitting right next to Herzog, and Herzog says “Doug was the worst damn weatherman ever. For Christ’s sake, Doug, when we get to Cooperstown next summer, don’t put the tarp on the field. And don’t kick me out of the damn Hall of Fame, OK?”
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 27
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 46
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 64
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 76
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 94
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)