Dec 8, 2009, 11:07 AM EST
Whitey Herzog is in the press room for his welcome-to-the-Hall-of-Fame press conference. I’m a huge Whitey Herzog fan. I grew up in the 80s, so his legend loomed large. Just because I’m in the press room doesn’t mean I’m not still a fan, so I went up to him.
Me: “Whitey, can I get a picture?”
Whitey: “If you got a camera you can.”
Anyway, Herzog and fellow inductee Doug Harvey are on the dais now, with Jane Forbes Clark putting their Hall of Fame jerseys and caps on them. I’m waiting for an argument to break out between Herzog and Harvey.
If anyone says anything really interesting during the press conference, I’ll post it shortly.
UPDATE: Asked if he and Harvey can be friends now that they’re both being inducted (Harvey ran Whitey A LOT when they were active). Harvey is sitting right next to Herzog, and Herzog says “Doug was the worst damn weatherman ever. For Christ’s sake, Doug, when we get to Cooperstown next summer, don’t put the tarp on the field. And don’t kick me out of the damn Hall of Fame, OK?”
- Report: D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 30
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 5
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 41
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Mark Prior’s retirement reminds us that young pitchers will break your heart 25
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)