Dec 8, 2009, 11:07 AM EDT
Whitey Herzog is in the press room for his welcome-to-the-Hall-of-Fame press conference. I’m a huge Whitey Herzog fan. I grew up in the 80s, so his legend loomed large. Just because I’m in the press room doesn’t mean I’m not still a fan, so I went up to him.
Me: “Whitey, can I get a picture?”
Whitey: “If you got a camera you can.”
Anyway, Herzog and fellow inductee Doug Harvey are on the dais now, with Jane Forbes Clark putting their Hall of Fame jerseys and caps on them. I’m waiting for an argument to break out between Herzog and Harvey.
If anyone says anything really interesting during the press conference, I’ll post it shortly.
UPDATE: Asked if he and Harvey can be friends now that they’re both being inducted (Harvey ran Whitey A LOT when they were active). Harvey is sitting right next to Herzog, and Herzog says “Doug was the worst damn weatherman ever. For Christ’s sake, Doug, when we get to Cooperstown next summer, don’t put the tarp on the field. And don’t kick me out of the damn Hall of Fame, OK?”
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (125)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (97)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (96)