Dec 9, 2009, 1:20 PM EDT
An hour or so ago Sports Illustrated’s Jon Heyman said that the Mets were talking to John Lackey, Matt Holliday and Jason Bay “with renewed hopes to sign 1 of big 3.” This contrasts with the general
consensus here in Indy — especially among the New York writers —
that the Mets aren’t really players for any of those guys and that if they do anything this week it will be to sign Bengie Molina and eat a few nice catered meals.
Could that have changed? And if so, what could have “renewed those hopes?” A sudden change of budgetary heart on the part of the Wilpons? A sudden backtracking on the part of Lackey’s people regarding their desire for the five or six year deal that no one seems to want to give him? The Red Sox dropping out of the Jason Bay derby? Here’s a theory of my own: if the Mets are suddenly thinking bigger, it’s because the Yankees have been going hog wild (relatively speaking) this week, and they don’t want to get blown the hell off the back pages of the tabloids.
Whatever the case, any renewed push for one of the big three on the Mets’ part strikes me as a reactive move as opposed to one that was planned out ahead of time, because until this afternoon, all signs pointed to a relatively quiet Winter Meetings for the New York Mets.
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 19
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 19
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)