Dec 9, 2009, 11:17 PM EST
MLB.com’s Brian McTaggert reports that the Astros and Brandon Lyon have come to terms on a deal, pending a physical.
The Astros lost LaTroy Hawkins earlier in the day because of an unwillingness to guarantee him a second year. They almost certainly had to in order to sign Lyon, and they probably paid a premium over what Hawkins would have cost, though they are getting a younger pitcher by making the switch.
Lyon could well get the closer’s role over fellow new acquisiton Matt Lindstrom to begin the season. That’s what salaries would dictate. However, considering that Lyon is someone who can come in with men on base and Lindstrom really isn’t, it may well make more sense to reserve Lindstrom for the ninth.
Update: FOXSports.com is reporting that Lyon is getting $15 million for three years.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)