Dec 9, 2009, 3:10 PM EST
Houston has an opening at closer after Jose Valverde declined arbitration and an empty setup spot with LaTroy Hawkins is headed to Milwaukee, so the Astros are reportedly pursuing trades for Matt Lindstrom of the Marlins and Rafael Soriano of the Braves.
Soriano surprisingly accepted Atlanta’s arbitration offer and because the Braves have already rebuilt the bullpen with free agents Billy Wagner and Takashi Saito they’re looking to essentially do a sign-and-trade for Soriano. FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal pegs Houston and Tampa Bay as the most likely destinations.
Lindstrom is due for a raise via arbitration, so naturally the Marlins have been shopping him all week and an unnamed source told Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post that they’re “close” to dealing him to the Astros. Lindstrom is coming off a career-worst year, but between 2007 and 2008 he had a 3.11 ERA and 105/47 K/BB ratio in 124 innings and his probable salary of around $2 million is only expensive to the Marlins.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)