Dec 9, 2009, 3:10 PM EST
Houston has an opening at closer after Jose Valverde declined arbitration and an empty setup spot with LaTroy Hawkins is headed to Milwaukee, so the Astros are reportedly pursuing trades for Matt Lindstrom of the Marlins and Rafael Soriano of the Braves.
Soriano surprisingly accepted Atlanta’s arbitration offer and because the Braves have already rebuilt the bullpen with free agents Billy Wagner and Takashi Saito they’re looking to essentially do a sign-and-trade for Soriano. FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal pegs Houston and Tampa Bay as the most likely destinations.
Lindstrom is due for a raise via arbitration, so naturally the Marlins have been shopping him all week and an unnamed source told Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post that they’re “close” to dealing him to the Astros. Lindstrom is coming off a career-worst year, but between 2007 and 2008 he had a 3.11 ERA and 105/47 K/BB ratio in 124 innings and his probable salary of around $2 million is only expensive to the Marlins.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)