Dec 9, 2009, 12:01 PM EDT
UPDATE: The deal is now confirmed at $11.75M
Heyman tweets that the Yankees are about to sign Andy Pettitte to a one-year, $12 million deal (UPDATE: Joel Sherman says it’s actually $11.75m — we’ll see who’s right later). The deal will be finalized today. $12 million is about what he got last year once all of the incentives came due. Pettitte had previously rejected a $10 million offer.
Pettitte was 14-8 with a 4.16 ERA in 2009. He went 4-0 in five postseason starts, with the
final win coming in Game 6 of the World Series. It has been widely reported that if the Yankees didn’t sign him this winter he was going to retire.
As for the deal itself: he was given a low base salary last year — $5.5 million. In a lot of ways it seems like a $12 million, no-or-low incentives deal is something of a reward for him taking some risks last season.
The Yankees kicked ass in the playoffs. They are continuing to kick ass in the winter meetings. It’s their world, and we’re all just living in it.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 9
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 103
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris