Dec 9, 2009, 12:01 PM EST
UPDATE: The deal is now confirmed at $11.75M
Heyman tweets that the Yankees are about to sign Andy Pettitte to a one-year, $12 million deal (UPDATE: Joel Sherman says it’s actually $11.75m — we’ll see who’s right later). The deal will be finalized today. $12 million is about what he got last year once all of the incentives came due. Pettitte had previously rejected a $10 million offer.
Pettitte was 14-8 with a 4.16 ERA in 2009. He went 4-0 in five postseason starts, with the
final win coming in Game 6 of the World Series. It has been widely reported that if the Yankees didn’t sign him this winter he was going to retire.
As for the deal itself: he was given a low base salary last year — $5.5 million. In a lot of ways it seems like a $12 million, no-or-low incentives deal is something of a reward for him taking some risks last season.
The Yankees kicked ass in the playoffs. They are continuing to kick ass in the winter meetings. It’s their world, and we’re all just living in it.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)