UPDATE: Pettitte deal confirmed at $11.75 million

Dec 9, 2009, 12:01 PM EDT

UPDATE:  The deal is now confirmed at $11.75M

Heyman tweets that the Yankees are about to sign Andy Pettitte to a one-year, $12 million deal (UPDATE: Joel Sherman says it’s actually $11.75m — we’ll see who’s right later).  The deal will be finalized today.  $12 million is about what he got last year once all of the incentives came due. Pettitte had previously rejected a $10 million offer.

Pettitte was 14-8 with a 4.16 ERA in 2009.  He went 4-0 in five postseason starts, with the
final win coming in Game 6 of the World Series. It has been widely reported that if the Yankees didn’t sign him this winter he was going to retire.

As for the deal itself: he was given a low base salary last year — $5.5 million.  In a lot of ways it seems like a $12 million, no-or-low incentives deal is something of a reward for him taking some risks last season.

The Yankees kicked ass in the playoffs. They are continuing to kick ass in the winter meetings.  It’s their world, and we’re all just living in it.

1. Danielle - Dec 9, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Good for Pettite. I’m a Red Sox fan but always have loved Andy Pettite. He deserves it all.

2. YANKEES1996 - Dec 9, 2009 at 2:42 PM

What are you doing on the message board then? … GO AWAY IF YOU DON’T LIKE THE YANKEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. TF in Tampa - Dec 9, 2009 at 2:44 PM

Come on OG, the suspense is killing us. Work your magic!
    Remember, you can always ask for forgiveness, I’m sure Father Craig, being the forgiving padre he must be, will exonerate thee for thy sins and tell you your pennance will be to no longer belittle the fishes management in Miami anymore [unless he hates them too...], where by you’ll have to come up with an alias.

4. rwriffe - Dec 9, 2009 at 2:59 PM

Yankees1996, this is not a message board reserved for Yankee fans.
    Oh, and #%*& the yankees.

5. YANKEES1996 - Dec 9, 2009 at 3:06 PM

rwriffe, Good post!

6. Jeff - Dec 9, 2009 at 3:10 PM

It’s better than that . . . You don’t need to sign Damon or matsui. If you want cheaper, you move Cabrera to left to replace him and the outfield defense has really improved. Next year, if Jeter loses a step, he goes to the outfield. Getting Granderson means that the DH can be rotated and keep legs fresh instead of having it be Matsui’s. If you sign a free agent corner outfielder for left, you hold right for Jeter next year (Swisher has 1 more year on his contract); someone will be want a young outfielder (Cabrera) in a trade for pitching.
    Then you pray Maur decided he want to test free agency, put him behind the plate and make Posada your DH next year.

7. XoXoX - Dec 9, 2009 at 3:12 PM

What did they say? Oh yea, the Yankees kicked ASS and continue to KICK ASS!! What are poor Bosox fans to do? Cry like babies?

8. little pup - Dec 9, 2009 at 3:50 PM

I still say what is so great about buying 27 championships

9. Mike - Dec 9, 2009 at 4:03 PM

The Yankees have 27 world championships! How many do the red sox have? The Red sox win two championships since 1918 and you try and belittle the yankees accomplishments. Seems like someone is a bitter red sox fan. Its going to be a long time before the red sox win again so get ready to watch another Yankee dynasty. We run things.

10. Abby - Dec 9, 2009 at 4:29 PM

WHOHOO!!! I like that Andy Pettitte. Glad he signed up again with the Yankees. Classy guy.
    Poor Paulie: You’re just mad because the YANKEES are a class act and they kicked EVERYONE’s tutu in the 2009 season. I was one of the happiest fans ever at the 27th World Series, 40th AL champions. Have been a Yankees fan since I was 5……about 55 years now. Whole family has been Yankees fans, except for my mum who was a Pgh. Pirates fan.
    GO YANKEES!!! Paulie: if it weren’t for low class, you would have no class with your disgusting remarks.
    GO YANKEES!!!

11. mick-7-1961 - Dec 9, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Right-On, Abby…..been one since I was also 5 (turned 62 last week).
    My office is adorned w/Yankee memorabilia…really p%sses off all my Mariner fan co-employees :>)

12. Old Gator - Dec 9, 2009 at 5:58 PM

Guys, I would love to tell you the punchline, but Craig got on my case for a remark I once made about Miami drivers of a certain ethnic background having something vaguely to do with a particular large island you could see from Key West if you were Bill Walton. I can’t blame him, of course – but then the man who originally came into this world to teach us the blessings of forgiveness, one Gautama Buddha, got to me even before Craig did, so we’re copacetic. Pick an alternate venue, bestow upon me a magic link, and I will be happy to deposit the punchline there in a plain brown wrapper for you.

13. The Rabbit - Dec 9, 2009 at 6:59 PM

As a female member of the tribe referenced in the punchline (in the version of the story with which I am familiar), I found it extremely funny; however, it loses its humor when you have to translate it to Midwesterners.

14. Old Gator - Dec 9, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Well, at least it’s a relief to find out that you’re not the neurotic male suburbanite referenced by John Updike.
    However, if you are from an urban rez, you may be surprised at the extent to which the diaspora has spread to the flyover states. What I would do when I was imprisoned in New York for some years was take my visitors from the heartlands to Sammy’s Famous Roumanian Steakhouse on the northwest corner of Chrystie and Delancey on the lower east side, let them listen to the awful jokes beiong bandied around there, and then tell them this particular one. After enough karnitzlach, stuffed derma and chicken fat, and two or three bottles of Premiat, they usually found it funny whether they understood it or not.

15. TigerS Boy ToY - Dec 10, 2009 at 12:55 PM

The seats I had for 2009 was about 60% more than 2008, so yeah, someone has to pay for he new digs. What hasn’t gone up lately.

16. affiliate network companies - Dec 28, 2009 at 10:06 PM

You not the expert?

17. John Mathis - Jan 10, 2010 at 1:12 PM

A good background check service is difficult to find.

18. Honeywell Oil Heater - Jan 27, 2010 at 12:49 PM

I really enjoy reading the articles on this blog. I’ll bookmark this so I can read more later.

19. SHOE INSERTS - Jan 29, 2010 at 2:01 PM

Being short is not a crime, if everyone else around you is taller, it is obvious you would like to to seem taller too.

20. silk screen supplies - Feb 8, 2010 at 10:56 PM

hey I came across this blog looking for some Super Bowl information what did you guys think about the Saints winning the Super Bowl I’ve been blog hopping asking questions.

21. BRIDGING - Feb 10, 2010 at 3:41 AM

I don’t work here. I’m a consultant

22. Bridging - Feb 21, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Well done with this article its great We live in a society where pizza gets to your house before the police.

23. Stephen M. Equity - Mar 4, 2010 at 10:37 AM

There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also. Umh, that’s a nice set of legs, what time do they open?

24. Carl L. Schemes - Mar 4, 2010 at 4:54 PM

When I was young I begged God for a bike, but God does not work that way… so I stole a bike and begged for forgiveness!

25. Terry Bridge - Mar 5, 2010 at 6:39 AM

There is undeniably a lot to know about it. I think above are some good propositions. All true wisdom is found on T-shirts.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3024)