Gammons speaks

Dec 9, 2009, 9:45 AM EST

A lot of you responded to the Peter Gammons news yesterday by saying something like “Good! Now that Boston homer can do his Boston homer stuff!”  Well, you’re not 100% wrong.  Gammons, speaking to Chad Finn of the Boston Globe:

“A big part of it is that I just want to be home more . . . it’s very much a lifestyle thing . . . I grew up a New Englander, and I want to be part of my hometown. I
still live in Boston. I’m a part of my community, and I want to
continue to be part of my community.”

Presumably he’ll get the Boston stuff out of his system with the NESN part of his new life and will continue to be more of a generalist at MLB.com and MLB Network. Oh, and about those suggestions that ESPN-fatigue had something to do with it?

“A lot of people said to me today, ‘You know, you must have negative
feelings about ESPN.’ That’s so far from the reality.  Some of the best friends I have ever had are there. The people from
ESPN were tremendous, and I truly loved working with them.'”

Gammons is a classy guy so he’d say that even if he left in a storm of acrimony, but I’ve heard nothing since yesterday to suggest he isn’t being straight up here.

1. Rono - Dec 9, 2009 at 10:00 AM

I saw Peter at a Sox game once. He was double fisted and could not have been nicer. Loved him ever since

2. keith - Dec 9, 2009 at 10:04 AM

he should be the next commishioner of baseball.

3. bigcatasroma - Dec 9, 2009 at 10:11 AM

Was it last season, or the season before, where Peter had a stroke or aneurysm or whatever it was? This is probably just Peter trying to slow down – report on the Sawx, live at home, and play his guitar, instead of being sent off to a Blue Jays-Twins game after covering a Marlins-Phillies game only because there is a potential three-way deal for Halliday and Mauer being Tweeted baselessly by Hyman – in other words, Peter is just semi-retiring. This kind of sounds like Keith Jackson when he “left” ABC but continued to call USC or UCLA or Pac-10 games . . .

4. RichardInDallas - Dec 9, 2009 at 10:23 AM

First, what Keith said, and second, my most memorable Gammons quote: when reporting that the Rangers had just signed Alex Rodriguez to join Palmiero, Pudge and Juan Gon in the middle of the most juiced lineup in baseball, and cryptically referring to the Rangers lack of top shelf pitching, he said, “The Rangers are now poised to lose more 17-16 games than any team in the history of the Major Leagues”. You can’t get more brilliant than that…

5. smokehouse - Dec 9, 2009 at 10:37 AM

I like Peter Gammons. He forgot more about baseball than I ever knew. I wish him well. His only problem was that he worked for ESPN, the most useless sports network in the world.

6. BF - Dec 9, 2009 at 10:42 AM

I am a tried and true lifetime Yankee fan. Peter Gammons would probably describe himself as the same type of Red Sox fan, and I, of course, hate the Red Sox! That having been said…there is no better baseball analyst/reporter than Peter Gammons. He never shows favoritism and is always spot-on in his reporting. ESPN and all of his fans will miss him.

7. TigerS Boy ToY - Dec 9, 2009 at 10:47 AM

HE IS AWESOME…… SCREW ESPN SUITS OLD TIMER.

8. H25 - Dec 9, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Now Peter can get back to his first love – leaking stories for Theo Epstein. He did it for Dan Duquette but in the end got double crossed. He has someone in Epsteing, while being a good GM, isn’t above using him to leak out stories about people in the organization.

9. Lisa - Dec 9, 2009 at 11:37 AM

I agree with BF and smokehouse. I’ve told everyone I know “If I EVER have a stroke, I want the same doctor Peter Gammons had!” I love his insight (even if it M-A-Y contain a Red Sox bias every once in awhile) but he DOES know more about baseball than anyone else out there!

10. robocop - Dec 9, 2009 at 11:57 AM

I for one, will miss Pete’s insight and wisdom. As a Yankee fan, I thought his reporting was fair and balanced, and his baseball knowledge is far superior to his contempoaries. Good luck Pete.

11. APBA Guy - Dec 9, 2009 at 12:00 PM

He is a tremendous writer, with great composition and organization skills. Very entertaining. The last of the old timers with incredible inside sources and “this is what my eyes see” reporting.
    I think Big Cat is right though. He is semi-retiring. At least he’s doing it voluntarily, unlike a lot of people these days who don’t have a choice in the matter.
    Craig, you’ve got big shoes to fill. Who’s going to be your GM target? Has to be Shapiro, right?

12. CubbieBlue - Dec 9, 2009 at 12:07 PM

This is the way it was supposed to be. I could not have been more saddened when Gammons suffered the aneurysm in 2007, speculating that the game’s greatest writer was just taken from us. Here, Gammons is bowing and slowly walking away from the game. Good stuff.

13. Dave - Dec 9, 2009 at 12:56 PM

I think it speaks volumes that Yankees fans revere Peter as much as Red Sox fans. He is class and his knowledge of the game is second to none.
    Welcome home, Peter.

14. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Dec 9, 2009 at 1:38 PM

Welcome home, Peter.

As a yanks fan, I’d much rather listen to Remy/Orsillo than the YES guys, and Mr. Gammons is far better than anything the NYT/Dailynews/Post(ha!) ever put out.
    Best of luck to whatever your future holds Mr. Gammons.

15. Abdul Maalik - Dec 9, 2009 at 2:32 PM

Good work done Gammons… May you see your other possibilities.
    Abdul Maalik
    MindFreedom Kenya
    kenya@mindfreedom.org

16. New Jersey RWA - Dec 9, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Mr. Gammons, as Neil Young once said in a song, Long May You Run.. You had a great ride and provided many great insights to the game and it’s many facets – Good Luck with EVERYTHING you do !!!

17. Brad - Dec 9, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Enjoy your time at home, Peter. You deserve it.

18. Cliff Schmick - Feb 3, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Hello, superb blog, I truly enjoyed reading it. This post gave me the push to try my own post, please check my post by clicking my name at the top of this comment, cheers

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4999)