Dec 9, 2009, 7:12 AM EDT
Each night the bar and lobby scene at the Winter Meetings lasts a bit longer, which in turn means that the morning starts a bit later. It takes a bit longer for the press room to fill up and the tweets to start flying. The line at Starbucks is deeper and deeper. I bet I could make a killing selling the aspirin I have in my bag at inflated prices . . .
Yesterday was dominated by the Curtis Granderson deal and the Peter Gammons news. Less noticed — because of the late hour and the lower star-power wattage — was Ross Gload signing with the Phillies. Otherwise the day involved a couple of formalities and a lot of rumor mongering.
I’d expect the rumor mongering to continue today, as there is increasing speculation that Roy Halladay and Jason Bay could find themselves in new uniforms before we all leave Indianapolis. I’m a little dubious — the Halladay thing is gonna take time — but that won’t stop the chatter. Our job? To cut through the chatter as best as possible, putting lie to the baloney and getting there firstest with the mostest in terms of analysis.
As I said yesterday: refresh often, my friends.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 23
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 32
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)