Dec 9, 2009, 7:12 AM EDT
Each night the bar and lobby scene at the Winter Meetings lasts a bit longer, which in turn means that the morning starts a bit later. It takes a bit longer for the press room to fill up and the tweets to start flying. The line at Starbucks is deeper and deeper. I bet I could make a killing selling the aspirin I have in my bag at inflated prices . . .
Yesterday was dominated by the Curtis Granderson deal and the Peter Gammons news. Less noticed — because of the late hour and the lower star-power wattage — was Ross Gload signing with the Phillies. Otherwise the day involved a couple of formalities and a lot of rumor mongering.
I’d expect the rumor mongering to continue today, as there is increasing speculation that Roy Halladay and Jason Bay could find themselves in new uniforms before we all leave Indianapolis. I’m a little dubious — the Halladay thing is gonna take time — but that won’t stop the chatter. Our job? To cut through the chatter as best as possible, putting lie to the baloney and getting there firstest with the mostest in terms of analysis.
As I said yesterday: refresh often, my friends.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 53
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 31
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)