Dec 9, 2009, 7:12 AM EDT
Each night the bar and lobby scene at the Winter Meetings lasts a bit longer, which in turn means that the morning starts a bit later. It takes a bit longer for the press room to fill up and the tweets to start flying. The line at Starbucks is deeper and deeper. I bet I could make a killing selling the aspirin I have in my bag at inflated prices . . .
Yesterday was dominated by the Curtis Granderson deal and the Peter Gammons news. Less noticed — because of the late hour and the lower star-power wattage — was Ross Gload signing with the Phillies. Otherwise the day involved a couple of formalities and a lot of rumor mongering.
I’d expect the rumor mongering to continue today, as there is increasing speculation that Roy Halladay and Jason Bay could find themselves in new uniforms before we all leave Indianapolis. I’m a little dubious — the Halladay thing is gonna take time — but that won’t stop the chatter. Our job? To cut through the chatter as best as possible, putting lie to the baloney and getting there firstest with the mostest in terms of analysis.
As I said yesterday: refresh often, my friends.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)