Great Moments in Winter Meetings History . . .

Dec 9, 2009, 9:30 AM EST

. . .  have to Include listening to Ozzie Guillen talk about Tiger Woods’ problems.  I can’t repeat any of it, partially because it was in an informal off-the-record setting, but mostly because NBC would fire me, the Marion County, Indiana authorities would arrest me for trafficking in extreme obscenity and I’m pretty sure my keyboard would melt.

Suffice it to say, however, that Ozzie Guillen is a very practical guy, and if Tiger had asked his opinion about how to organize his life beforehand, he wouldn’t be in the mess that he’s in.

1. RichardInDallas - Dec 9, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Did it seem like Ozzie was speaking from experience?

2. TigerS Boy ToY - Dec 9, 2009 at 10:52 AM

Ozzie to Tiger, you can’t do dis chit!!!

3. Old Gator - Dec 9, 2009 at 11:24 AM

Poor misguided Tiger. The way his life is going right now, he reminds me of nothing so much as that mammoth sculpture sinking into the La Brea tar pit in Volcano.

4. Loren - Dec 9, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Craig, can you flesh this out just a touch more? I think a lot of people would have read what you wrote and thought that Ozzie would have told Tiger not to run around with other women. For some reason I read it and imagined Ozzie giving Tiger advice on how to run around with women and not get caught. Which is it?

5. Craig Calcaterra - Dec 9, 2009 at 12:51 PM

Loren — can’t really say anymore than I have. But I will offer this much: it is entirely possible for a wide-ranging conversation involving someone as, um, colorful as Ozzie Guillen to cover both the moral (“Why, when married to portrait of beauty, would one break one’s marital vows?”) and the hypothetical (“were I the sort of fellow who were to break my marital vows, I might consider pursuing it thusly”).
    Now, it might not have been put in such flowerly language, but the concepts are not mutually-exclusive when presented in gentlemanly conversation.

6. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Dec 9, 2009 at 1:40 PM

It’s such a shame there isn’t another blog you could post some of this stuff on, away from the censors at NBC. If only such a place existed
    /winkwink

7. jwb - Dec 9, 2009 at 1:52 PM

White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen says he wasn’t drinking with Craig Calcaterra
    Lynn Henning / The Detroit News
    Indianapolis – White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen says he was not an accomplice to Craig Calcaterra’s long night of drinking at the Marriott Hotel.

8. KimG - Dec 9, 2009 at 3:36 PM

Did this post say anything?

9. p90x extreme - Jan 16, 2010 at 9:58 PM

Nice blog post! I see myself returning, going to email some friends about it too, thanks.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (3938)