Harden picks odd spot to rebuild his value

Dec 9, 2009, 6:09 PM EST

As our own Craig Calcaterra reported earlier, Rich Harden is joining the Rangers on a one-year, $7.5 million deal with an $11.5 million option for 2010.
The price seems about right, but the destination is still rather surprising. It’s hard to imagine that there weren’t going to be teams willing to present similar, if not superior, offers. And if Harden’s goal is to land a big multiyear deal at some point, it would have been easier to accomplish had he been pitching in Safeco or just about any National League park. Or pitching for the Red Sox or Yankees would have gained him more exposure and perhaps have allowed him to showcase himself in the postseason.
Pitching in Texas is famously difficult, of course. The ballpark is as hitter friendly as any in the American League, and the heat is well known for wearing players down over the course of a 162-game season. In the last dozen years, the Rangers have had three pitchers qualify for the ERA title and finish under 4.00:
Kevin Millwood – 3.67 ERA in 2009
Kenny Rogers – 3.46 ERA in 2005
Kenny Rogers – 3.84 ERA in 2002
That’s not to say teams won’t necessarily recognize that Harden has had a successful season if he comes in at 4.20 in 2010. But given that there was a significant market for his services, he may well have been better off heading elsewhere.

1. Mike G. - Dec 9, 2009 at 6:56 PM

Really? Pitching under the tutelage of Mike Maddux with the guidance of Nolan Ryan.
    I suspect if they could work their wonders on Scott Feldman that Harden might just be OK…

2. Bryz - Dec 9, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Or he could have gone to defense-first Seattle, with an offense-suppressing ballpark in Safeco Field. Just saying…

3. Margorie Stohl - Jan 16, 2010 at 5:18 AM

A thoughtful insight and ideas I will use on my blog. You’ve obviously spent some time on this. Well done!

4. Baseball news - Feb 3, 2010 at 4:31 PM

Aw, this was a really quality post. In theory I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real effort to make a good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and never seem to get something done.

5. Music downloads - Feb 25, 2010 at 4:10 PM

I know this is really boring and you are skipping to the next comment, but I just wanted to throw you a big thanks – you cleared up some things for me!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester