Dec 9, 2009, 11:06 AM EDT
If the rumors and tweets and deals aren’t your cup of team lar at Wezen-Ball has a fun feature up today. He went back through contemporaneous newspaper accounts of every single
person who was considered the highest paid player in baseball, if even he only held that status for a day or so like Mark Langston did in 1989. It goes back to the time Nolan Ryan allegedly broke the bank in Houston to become baseball’s first $1 million a year player.
Pretty neat stuff. Definitely puts today’s deals in perspective.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)