Dec 9, 2009, 3:38 PM EDT
The Indians already have Matt LaPorta as a question mark for Opening Day after he required hip surgery in October. Now two more of their top youngsters have required procedures that leave their statuses for 2010 in question.
Carlos Santana, one of the game’s very best prospects, suffered a broken hamate bone in his right hand. Given the usual two-month recovery timeframe, he’ll still have plenty of time to get ready for spring training. However, it often takes considerably longer for a player to regain his power after suffering a broken hamate. Under the circumstances, it’d be no surprise and no cause for alarm if Santana’s homer total is cut in half in Triple-A next season. He finished with 23 homers in Double-A last year.
Adam Miller’s future is considerably murkier. The Indians’ former No. 1 pitching prospect needed another tendon reconstruction operation for the middle finger of his right hand. It’s the fourth surgery he’s had on the finger, and it’s unclear when he might pitch again.
Since going 15-6 with a 2.75 ERA in Double-A in 2006, Miller has been limited to 65 1/3 innings in 2007 and 28 2/3 innings in 2008. He didn’t pitch last year while recovering from a previous finger surgery. The Indians may well non-tender him Saturday as a result of the latest setback. He could be re-signed to a minor league deal, but he’s no longer worth a 40-man roster spot.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 15
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)