Dec 9, 2009, 7:12 PM EDT
*FOXSports.com’s Tracy Ringolsby reports that the Rockies and Yorvit Torrealba are about $1 million apart on a two-year deal, with the Rockies offering $5 million.
Ringolsby also has the Rockies looking at Miguel Olivo, Josh Bard and Jason Kendall as fall-back options. The Nationals’ decision to give Ivan Rodriguez $6 million for two years makes Torrealba more than justified in asking for the same amount.
*Bengie Molina and the Mets have been involved in negotiations, but still aren’t close to a deal, according to the New York Times.
There still hasn’t been any indication that the Mets are ready to guarantee Molina a second year. Even though Molina no longer appears to have a return to San Francisco as a fallback option, he’s not going to sign a one-year deal unless he gets backed into a corner over the next month or two.
*According to the St. Petersburg Times, Kendall has a two-year offer on the table himself, with the Royals making the proposal.
Kendall’s experience apparently outweights John Buck’s ability to hit the ball out of the infield on occasion. The Royals, who have already subtracted free agent Miguel Olivo, are expected to non-tender Buck this weekend.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 23
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 38
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 42
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 19
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)