Dec 9, 2009, 7:12 PM EST
*FOXSports.com’s Tracy Ringolsby reports that the Rockies and Yorvit Torrealba are about $1 million apart on a two-year deal, with the Rockies offering $5 million.
Ringolsby also has the Rockies looking at Miguel Olivo, Josh Bard and Jason Kendall as fall-back options. The Nationals’ decision to give Ivan Rodriguez $6 million for two years makes Torrealba more than justified in asking for the same amount.
*Bengie Molina and the Mets have been involved in negotiations, but still aren’t close to a deal, according to the New York Times.
There still hasn’t been any indication that the Mets are ready to guarantee Molina a second year. Even though Molina no longer appears to have a return to San Francisco as a fallback option, he’s not going to sign a one-year deal unless he gets backed into a corner over the next month or two.
*According to the St. Petersburg Times, Kendall has a two-year offer on the table himself, with the Royals making the proposal.
Kendall’s experience apparently outweights John Buck’s ability to hit the ball out of the infield on occasion. The Royals, who have already subtracted free agent Miguel Olivo, are expected to non-tender Buck this weekend.
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 7
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 20
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 105
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (105)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)