Dec 9, 2009, 7:12 PM EDT
*FOXSports.com’s Tracy Ringolsby reports that the Rockies and Yorvit Torrealba are about $1 million apart on a two-year deal, with the Rockies offering $5 million.
Ringolsby also has the Rockies looking at Miguel Olivo, Josh Bard and Jason Kendall as fall-back options. The Nationals’ decision to give Ivan Rodriguez $6 million for two years makes Torrealba more than justified in asking for the same amount.
*Bengie Molina and the Mets have been involved in negotiations, but still aren’t close to a deal, according to the New York Times.
There still hasn’t been any indication that the Mets are ready to guarantee Molina a second year. Even though Molina no longer appears to have a return to San Francisco as a fallback option, he’s not going to sign a one-year deal unless he gets backed into a corner over the next month or two.
*According to the St. Petersburg Times, Kendall has a two-year offer on the table himself, with the Royals making the proposal.
Kendall’s experience apparently outweights John Buck’s ability to hit the ball out of the infield on occasion. The Royals, who have already subtracted free agent Miguel Olivo, are expected to non-tender Buck this weekend.
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 6
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 115
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 31
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)