Dec 9, 2009, 2:24 PM EDT
Jeff Zrebiec of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles are “very close” to acquiring Kevin Millwood from the Rangers in exchange for Chris Ray. This morning the newspaper noted that Baltimore would assume the bulk of Millwood’s remaining contract, which pays him $12 million in 2010, so that’s presumably why Texas is willing to part with him for a relatively minimal return.
Ray was once a very promising young reliever and took over closing duties in Baltimore as a 24-year-old in 2006, but missed all of 2008 following Tommy John elbow surgery and struggled in his return, posting a 7.27 ERA in 43.1 innings. He’s arbitration eligible for the first time and was thought to be a non-tender candidate, so while not without value to the Rangers acquiring Ray seems secondary to shedding Millwood’s salary.
Millwood has gone 48-46 with a 4.57 ERA for the Rangers since signing a five-year, $60 million deal as a free agent in December of 2005, including 13-10 with a 3.67 ERA over 31 starts in 2009. His poor 123/71 K/BB ratio suggests a regression is likely for 2010, but he figures to be good for 180 innings of league-average pitching and Baltimore can certainly use the rotation help.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 26
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 27
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)