Dec 9, 2009, 11:48 AM EDT
Kevin Correia said last night that he expects to be non-tendered by the Padres if the two sides can’t agree on a contract for 2010 by the end of the week. Correia is arbitration eligible for the first time after going 12-11 with a 3.91 ERA in 33 starts and the Padres are worried about actually having to, you know, pay him.
I don’t think they are going to allow me to get to arbitration. From what I understand, they’re not going to offer me a contract if arbitration is involved. They made an offer to me, but it was obviously below the arbitration value. I could still end up playing here. And this is where I want to play. The door is not closed. I want to stay here, but they have a lot of new people making decisions. The direction has been kind of clear the last few days.
The amazing thing is that Correia stands to make something like $2.5 million via arbitration after earning $750,000 in 2009, so the Padres either simply don’t want him or have some serious payroll issues. Getting released by San Diego might actually be the best thing for Correia, who seemingly wouldn’t have much trouble finding a deal that guarantees him at least $2.5 million on the open market.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 2
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)