Dec 9, 2009, 6:16 PM EDT
Josh Byrnes, Dave Dombrowski and Brian Cashman were just brought before us to “announce” the Granderson trade. I think I could rip into about 2,000 words on the metaphysics of it all (i.e. has the trade really happened if no one has yet to announce it?) but I’ll save that for the bar and my annoyed drinking companions this evening. The short version:
- Byrnes, Dombrowski and Cashman were all introduced by their official titles. It’s different for each of them. Byrnes is an “executive vice president and general manager.” Cashman is a “senior vice president.” Dombrowski is “CEO, President and general manager.” I’m assuming those titles are, to some extent, negotiable and mildly meaningless. If I ever become a GM I’m going to demand to be called “Vice President of Funk, Empress of India and General Manager.”
- Asked about when and how the talks got started, Dombrowski said that it began back around Thanksgiving.
- Why do the deal, Detroit? Dombrowski: “We had some adjustments we needed to make . . . given our situation.” Read: “we had to dump payroll because I was on crack when I gave Dontrelle Willis and Nate Robertson all that money a couple of years ago.”
- Both Dombrowski and Cashman seemed to go out of their way to talk about how hard a bargain Byrnes was driving. Me thinks the GMs doth protest too much. I mean, he was sitting right next to them, so I suppose it was natural that they wanted to make him feel better.
- Dombrowski on Austin Jackson: “he’s about as sure a prospect as you can have.” No pressure or anything, Austin. And you may want to read this, Dave.
- Cashman claimed that he was the last one into the deal and that he had “said no to so many deals involving Austin Jackson in the past.” I don’t doubt that.
- Cashman was asked if getting Granderson means that they’re going to cut bait on either Damon and/or Matsui. “Not necessarily,” Cashman said. “But it gives us comfort right now.” I think he meant from a roster construction perspective, but I’m guessing he meant from a negotiating perspective.
Now on to the metaphysics of it all . . .
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 11
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 11
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 35
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 41
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 185
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (185)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)