Dec 9, 2009, 12:45 PM EDT
Earlier this week there was speculation that Boston would be interested in Adrian Beltre if he declined arbitration from Seattle, and now that he’s done so WEEI.com’s Rob Bradford reports that “the Red Sox might be trying to position themselves to make a run” at the free agent third baseman.
In order for Beltre to be a real option the Red Sox would likely first have to find a taker for Mike Lowell, and there are plenty of rumors about his being shopped around Indianapolis. Lowell is a 35-year-old with hip problems and is owed $12 million in 2010, but did hit .290/.337/.474 with 17 homers and 75 RBIs in the 119 games he was healthy enough to play in 2009. They may have to eat a bit of salary to get something done, but the Red Sox should be able to find a new home for Lowell if the Beltre talks get serious.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (125)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)