Dec 9, 2009, 12:45 PM EST
Earlier this week there was speculation that Boston would be interested in Adrian Beltre if he declined arbitration from Seattle, and now that he’s done so WEEI.com’s Rob Bradford reports that “the Red Sox might be trying to position themselves to make a run” at the free agent third baseman.
In order for Beltre to be a real option the Red Sox would likely first have to find a taker for Mike Lowell, and there are plenty of rumors about his being shopped around Indianapolis. Lowell is a 35-year-old with hip problems and is owed $12 million in 2010, but did hit .290/.337/.474 with 17 homers and 75 RBIs in the 119 games he was healthy enough to play in 2009. They may have to eat a bit of salary to get something done, but the Red Sox should be able to find a new home for Lowell if the Beltre talks get serious.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)