Dec 9, 2009, 12:45 PM EDT
Earlier this week there was speculation that Boston would be interested in Adrian Beltre if he declined arbitration from Seattle, and now that he’s done so WEEI.com’s Rob Bradford reports that “the Red Sox might be trying to position themselves to make a run” at the free agent third baseman.
In order for Beltre to be a real option the Red Sox would likely first have to find a taker for Mike Lowell, and there are plenty of rumors about his being shopped around Indianapolis. Lowell is a 35-year-old with hip problems and is owed $12 million in 2010, but did hit .290/.337/.474 with 17 homers and 75 RBIs in the 119 games he was healthy enough to play in 2009. They may have to eat a bit of salary to get something done, but the Red Sox should be able to find a new home for Lowell if the Beltre talks get serious.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (114)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (107)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)