Dec 9, 2009, 7:59 PM EDT
SI.con’s Jon Heyman is hearing the Phillies are in the mix for Roy Halladay, along with the Angels, Yankees and Red Sox.
The Phillies are supposed to be just about out of money after signing Placido Polanco and loading up their bench, though they have kept enough in reserve to land a setup man along the lines of Brandon Lyon. Ownership, though, might be willing to go above and beyond in order to bring in Halladay and make the team the overwhelming favorite to represent the NL in the World Series for the third straight year.
Halladay will make $14.6 million next season, but it’d really be more of a $7.5 million obligation for the Phillies, considering that a Halladay acquisition would almost surely result in Joe Blanton being sold off. Blanton might even fetch the eighth-inning guy the Phillies desire, whether it be George Sherrill or someone else.
The Phillies also have the talent to pull off a move. The Blue Jays would want three players from a group of four: RHP Kyle Drabek, OF Domonic Brown, LHP J.A. Happ and OF Michael Taylor. However, they might be willing to settle for two and lesser prospects, as long as either Drabek or Brown is involved. It doesn’t seem likely anyone else has stepped up with a big offer yet.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 52
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 61
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 17
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)