Dec 9, 2009, 7:59 PM EDT
SI.con’s Jon Heyman is hearing the Phillies are in the mix for Roy Halladay, along with the Angels, Yankees and Red Sox.
The Phillies are supposed to be just about out of money after signing Placido Polanco and loading up their bench, though they have kept enough in reserve to land a setup man along the lines of Brandon Lyon. Ownership, though, might be willing to go above and beyond in order to bring in Halladay and make the team the overwhelming favorite to represent the NL in the World Series for the third straight year.
Halladay will make $14.6 million next season, but it’d really be more of a $7.5 million obligation for the Phillies, considering that a Halladay acquisition would almost surely result in Joe Blanton being sold off. Blanton might even fetch the eighth-inning guy the Phillies desire, whether it be George Sherrill or someone else.
The Phillies also have the talent to pull off a move. The Blue Jays would want three players from a group of four: RHP Kyle Drabek, OF Domonic Brown, LHP J.A. Happ and OF Michael Taylor. However, they might be willing to settle for two and lesser prospects, as long as either Drabek or Brown is involved. It doesn’t seem likely anyone else has stepped up with a big offer yet.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 68
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 7
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (86)