Dec 9, 2009, 7:59 PM EST
SI.con’s Jon Heyman is hearing the Phillies are in the mix for Roy Halladay, along with the Angels, Yankees and Red Sox.
The Phillies are supposed to be just about out of money after signing Placido Polanco and loading up their bench, though they have kept enough in reserve to land a setup man along the lines of Brandon Lyon. Ownership, though, might be willing to go above and beyond in order to bring in Halladay and make the team the overwhelming favorite to represent the NL in the World Series for the third straight year.
Halladay will make $14.6 million next season, but it’d really be more of a $7.5 million obligation for the Phillies, considering that a Halladay acquisition would almost surely result in Joe Blanton being sold off. Blanton might even fetch the eighth-inning guy the Phillies desire, whether it be George Sherrill or someone else.
The Phillies also have the talent to pull off a move. The Blue Jays would want three players from a group of four: RHP Kyle Drabek, OF Domonic Brown, LHP J.A. Happ and OF Michael Taylor. However, they might be willing to settle for two and lesser prospects, as long as either Drabek or Brown is involved. It doesn’t seem likely anyone else has stepped up with a big offer yet.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 290
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (315)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)