Dec 9, 2009, 12:13 AM EST
Sources told MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki that the Phillies and free agent Ross Gload have come to terms on a two-year deal.
The 33-year-old Gload was believed to have similar offers on the table from the Marlins and Braves.
Gload hit .261/.329/.400 with 30 RBI in 230 at-bats for Florida last season. He was terribly miscast as a regular by the Royals, but he has been excellent off the bench in his career. Overall, he’s hit .308/.366/.436 with 29 RBI in 156 at-bats as a pinch-hitter. He came in at .318/.418/.455 with 15 RBI in 66 at-bats last season.
Gload, who will be the replacement for Matt Stairs, seemingly completes a Philadelphia bench also set to include Ben Francisco, Greg Dobbs, Brian Schneider and Juan Castro.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 26
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 29
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)