Dec 9, 2009, 6:43 PM EDT
According to the Providence Journal’s Joe McDonald, the Red Sox and Rangers are discussing a Mike Lowell deal, with Max Ramirez potentially being involved.
The Rangers have been looking for a right-handed bat to pair with Nelson Cruz behind Josh Hamilton in the lineup, with Jermaine Dye’s name being mentioned frequently. Lowell, though, may well come cheaper than Dye, as the Red Sox are believed to be willing to pick up half of his $12 million salary. He’d also offer the Rangers protection at both first and third.
Ramirez would be a logical return. He’s coming off a down year in Triple-A, but he’s shown considerable offensive potential before that and his bat might really blossom if he’s permanently moved off catcher. The 25-year-old is a career .299/.398/.486 hitter in six minor league seasons. He’s never developed defensively behind the plate, but he has some experience at first base and he’d give the Red Sox one more fallback option there and at DH.
If the Red Sox are able to entice the Rangers to take on Lowell, it’s assumed that free agent Adrian Beltre would be their No. 1 target to take over at third base.
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 61
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 9
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)