Dec 9, 2009, 6:43 PM EDT
According to the Providence Journal’s Joe McDonald, the Red Sox and Rangers are discussing a Mike Lowell deal, with Max Ramirez potentially being involved.
The Rangers have been looking for a right-handed bat to pair with Nelson Cruz behind Josh Hamilton in the lineup, with Jermaine Dye’s name being mentioned frequently. Lowell, though, may well come cheaper than Dye, as the Red Sox are believed to be willing to pick up half of his $12 million salary. He’d also offer the Rangers protection at both first and third.
Ramirez would be a logical return. He’s coming off a down year in Triple-A, but he’s shown considerable offensive potential before that and his bat might really blossom if he’s permanently moved off catcher. The 25-year-old is a career .299/.398/.486 hitter in six minor league seasons. He’s never developed defensively behind the plate, but he has some experience at first base and he’d give the Red Sox one more fallback option there and at DH.
If the Red Sox are able to entice the Rangers to take on Lowell, it’s assumed that free agent Adrian Beltre would be their No. 1 target to take over at third base.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)