Dec 9, 2009, 6:43 PM EDT
According to the Providence Journal’s Joe McDonald, the Red Sox and Rangers are discussing a Mike Lowell deal, with Max Ramirez potentially being involved.
The Rangers have been looking for a right-handed bat to pair with Nelson Cruz behind Josh Hamilton in the lineup, with Jermaine Dye’s name being mentioned frequently. Lowell, though, may well come cheaper than Dye, as the Red Sox are believed to be willing to pick up half of his $12 million salary. He’d also offer the Rangers protection at both first and third.
Ramirez would be a logical return. He’s coming off a down year in Triple-A, but he’s shown considerable offensive potential before that and his bat might really blossom if he’s permanently moved off catcher. The 25-year-old is a career .299/.398/.486 hitter in six minor league seasons. He’s never developed defensively behind the plate, but he has some experience at first base and he’d give the Red Sox one more fallback option there and at DH.
If the Red Sox are able to entice the Rangers to take on Lowell, it’s assumed that free agent Adrian Beltre would be their No. 1 target to take over at third base.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 35
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 54
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 90
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (90)