Dec 9, 2009, 12:01 AM EDT
FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi says that the Rangers are showing strong interest in the Marlins’ Jorge Cantu and could offer a starting pitcher for the first baseman.
Cantu seems like a curious target, given that he’d cost a player or two in return and several free agent first basemen/designated hitters could offer similar production. However, unlike the alternatives, he is a right-handed hitter, something that could appeal to the Rangers as they look for more power to slot behind Josh Hamilton in the lineup.
It’s also interesting that the news leaked out just hours after Larry Beinfest told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel that top first base prospect Logan Morrison is “ready to play in the big leagues.”
Indications were that the Marlins would keep Cantu, even though he’s due to earn $5 million or so next year. But since the market for Dan Uggla hasn’t developed as expected, perhaps they could change gears and use the money they were planning to spend on Cantu to keep Uggla around.
Morosi speculates that Brandon McCarthy could be the return in a deal for Cantu. That fits the Marlins’ need for more rotation depth, though given all of his recent health issues, McCarthy certainly doesn’t appeal to everyone.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11