Dec 9, 2009, 12:01 AM EDT
FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi says that the Rangers are showing strong interest in the Marlins’ Jorge Cantu and could offer a starting pitcher for the first baseman.
Cantu seems like a curious target, given that he’d cost a player or two in return and several free agent first basemen/designated hitters could offer similar production. However, unlike the alternatives, he is a right-handed hitter, something that could appeal to the Rangers as they look for more power to slot behind Josh Hamilton in the lineup.
It’s also interesting that the news leaked out just hours after Larry Beinfest told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel that top first base prospect Logan Morrison is “ready to play in the big leagues.”
Indications were that the Marlins would keep Cantu, even though he’s due to earn $5 million or so next year. But since the market for Dan Uggla hasn’t developed as expected, perhaps they could change gears and use the money they were planning to spend on Cantu to keep Uggla around.
Morosi speculates that Brandon McCarthy could be the return in a deal for Cantu. That fits the Marlins’ need for more rotation depth, though given all of his recent health issues, McCarthy certainly doesn’t appeal to everyone.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)