Dec 9, 2009, 9:05 PM EDT
The Kansas City Star’s Bob Dutton reports that the Royals have inquired about Yankees outfielder Brett Gardner’s availability in light of the Curtis Granderson trade.
Given that he, like Granderson, is a left-handed-hitting center fielder, Gardner no longer seems like all that great of a fit with the Yankees. Switch-hitting Melky Cabrera might be more likely to stick around, though he has his own problems against left-handers. In fact, the Yankees might be best off trading both and targeting Randy Winn or Reed Johnson to serve as their fourth outfielder and replacement for Granderson against tough southpaws.
The Royals, though, should be aiming to do better than Gardner in their search for a starting center fielder. Gardner is strong defensively and he steals bases at a nice clip, but he strikes out too often for someone with so little power. He’ll have to hit .290-.300 in order to be a capable regular, and little so far suggests that it’s likely to happen.
As a free-talent pickup, Gardner would be a fine choice for the Royals. The Yankees, though, would demand something substantial in return, and given each GM’s history, Brian Cashman would get the better of Dayton Moore in any deal that gets done.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 12
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 3
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games