Dec 9, 2009, 9:05 PM EST
The Kansas City Star’s Bob Dutton reports that the Royals have inquired about Yankees outfielder Brett Gardner’s availability in light of the Curtis Granderson trade.
Given that he, like Granderson, is a left-handed-hitting center fielder, Gardner no longer seems like all that great of a fit with the Yankees. Switch-hitting Melky Cabrera might be more likely to stick around, though he has his own problems against left-handers. In fact, the Yankees might be best off trading both and targeting Randy Winn or Reed Johnson to serve as their fourth outfielder and replacement for Granderson against tough southpaws.
The Royals, though, should be aiming to do better than Gardner in their search for a starting center fielder. Gardner is strong defensively and he steals bases at a nice clip, but he strikes out too often for someone with so little power. He’ll have to hit .290-.300 in order to be a capable regular, and little so far suggests that it’s likely to happen.
As a free-talent pickup, Gardner would be a fine choice for the Royals. The Yankees, though, would demand something substantial in return, and given each GM’s history, Brian Cashman would get the better of Dayton Moore in any deal that gets done.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 40
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)