Dec 9, 2009, 2:06 PM EDT
The Tigers would “love” to come up with a three-team trade that would result in them surrendering Carlos Guillen and landing Juan Pierre, says FOXSports.com’s Jon Paul Morosi.
Now, we’re still rather skeptical about Morosi as a national guy, but he did work for the Detroit Free Press before joining FOX. He should know about as well as anyone what the Tigers are thinking.
And if this is what they’re thinking, perhaps something could be worked out. Guillen is due $26 million over the next two years, while Pierre will make $18.5 million. So, again, the Tigers are being motivated by finances here.
But Guillen has gone from being an extremely valuable shortstop to a question mark in left field during his Tigers tenure. His OPS has dropped sharply three years running:
2006 – 920 (153 games)
2007 – 859 (151 games)
2008 – 811 (113 games)
2009 – 757 (81 games)
Guillen has a chance to be an above average left fielder for the duration of his contract, and the Tigers do have need of one of those. However, Pierre is cheaper and he’d fill the center field and leadoff slots while the team waits for Austin Jackson.
To make a deal work, the Tigers would have to find a team willing to accept Guillen in return for an overpaid pitcher. Seattle’s Carlos Silva would make a ton of sense, given that the Mariners have plenty of use for a right-handed hitter capable of playing first base and left field, but he’s due $22.5 million over the next two years — $4 million more than Pierre — and the Dodgers should have very little interest in him. The Mets’ Oliver Perez could work. He’s due $24 million through 2011. Derek Lowe’s contract fits, but the Dodgers have no interest in bringing him back.
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 72
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47