What did you think of Hideki Matsui's performance?

Dec 9, 2009, 3:45 PM EDT

Japanese Reporter.JPG
I’ll give you three guesses what this guy was asking Mike Scioscia.

1. Frank - Dec 9, 2009 at 3:48 PM

This will never get old, Craig. Ever.

2. Ron - Dec 9, 2009 at 3:57 PM

Do the Japanese reporters actually know anythinga about baseball, or is it a celebrity thing?

3. Craig Calcaterra - Dec 9, 2009 at 4:01 PM

No, these guys (and women; there are a handful of women too) know baseball. From what I hear, however, they are kind of screwed by their bosses in that they have a mandate to cover Ichiro, Matsui and to a lesser extent the other Japanese players to death. I was actually talking to one of them earlier who said that he wants to be able to talk about U.S. baseball more generally and to educate the Japanese audience about other players and things, but the media companies that employ them just demand wall-to-wall Matsui coverage.

4. Ryan - Dec 9, 2009 at 4:04 PM

Ask him what he thinks of Mike Scioscia’s World Series performance and if he’d like to have Mike as his manager.

5. Adam - Dec 9, 2009 at 4:16 PM

If American reporters went to Japan’s winter meetings, or even their season, to cover it, my guess is they’d only focus on the American players and display the same parochialism. Ever seen our Olympics coverage?

6. Ron - Dec 9, 2009 at 4:17 PM

That’s interesting. I know Japanese people love baseball, so the reporting stuff seems a litte silly, but that explains it.
    KInd of like Fox news doing a political convention.

7. Jamie - Dec 9, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Except more boring. “What do you think of Matt Murton’s performance in the 2007 ALDS, and are you looking forward to having him on your team?”

8. Jason @ IIATMS - Dec 9, 2009 at 4:34 PM

Will never get old.

9. Paul - Dec 9, 2009 at 5:02 PM

I think that if American writers covered Japanese baseball, they’d cover it much more evenly, but not because they don’t care more about American players, more because the American players in Japan aren’t worth caring about at all.

10. Jorge Says No! - Dec 9, 2009 at 5:33 PM

I’d love to see one of these reporters ask about Ken Takahashi.

11. Old Gator - Dec 9, 2009 at 6:22 PM

I think he’s asking Sciosia if he’s ever seen Ichi the Killer or Audition, or if he knew anyone who could translate The Universal Baseball Association, J. Henry Waugh, Prporietor into Japanese because he can’t understand the final chapter in English. I wish I could be there to tell him that none of us can, either. However, if he is successful in finding a translator who can work such magic, I have the transcript of Casey Stengel’s testimony before the Kefauver Congressional Subcommittee for him as well.

Yet another WS run for the Giants