Dec 10, 2009, 6:26 PM EDT
The Dallas Morning News has all of the details on Rich Harden’s deal with the Rangers, which was agreed to Wednesday.
According to the DMN, Harden will earn $6.5 million next season and up to $2.5 million more incentives. The 2011 option needs approval from both sides and is worth $11million. If either party declines it, Harden will receive $1 million, meaning the deal is worth a guaranteed $7.5 million. Harden could earn as much as $20 million over the two years.
However, there’s very little chance that Harden will pitch under the terms of the mutual option in 2011. For the Rangers to pick up their side, they’d need to value Harden at $10 million, and if the general feeling after the season is that Harden is going to be worth $10 million in 2011, he shouldn’t have any trouble going back on the market and landing a big multiyear deal.
So, it all comes back to $7.5 million for 2009. Harden is a fine risk at that price. And if he pitches so well that the Rangers can’t afford to bring him back, they’ll have gotten more than their money’s worth and likely two picks in the 2011 draft to boot.
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 7
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 36
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 31
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)