Lowell deal still happening, but developing slowly

Dec 10, 2009, 10:32 AM EST

Rangers’ GM Jon Daniels is saying that the Mike Lowell-for-Max Ramirez trade is not as imminent as is being reported in some places.

As of now, though, there is nothing to suggest that it’s not happening. Heyman is reporting that Boston would send between $8-9 million to Texas in the deal.  With that kind of money changing hands, Selig has to sign off on the deal, I’m told.  That’s probably why everyone is trying to pretend that there’s still work to be done.

1. Old Gator - Dec 10, 2009 at 11:34 AM

Poor Mike. He goes from being an Exciting Young Prospect with the Borg to a hero with the Feesh to an expensive hero with the Feesh (which is a euphemism for a former hero with the Feesh) to a hero with the Beanbags to an expensive hero with the Beanbags (which is, allasudden, a euphemism for a former hero with the Beanbags) to a Henny Youngman joke – “Take my third baseman. Please.” with the team that George W. Bush built to perform like his economic policies.
    That’s a bit like A Hitchhiker’s Guide the the Galaxy for the sabremetric era, ain’t it?

2. CommonNow - Dec 10, 2009 at 11:46 AM

Gator- do they do urine tests at your place of business???

3. Arendell - Dec 10, 2009 at 11:49 AM

This reeks of Bad bad management. Sorry this poor line of thinking has take this team to the point that Baltimore, Tampa, & Toronto all know thay have a LA-Git shot at second place iin the division. The Yank have first place all locked up and do not even have a left & right feilder. But there is no team to push them for the win total in this division,NOW!!!!

4. Old Gator - Dec 10, 2009 at 11:54 AM

They do, but they don’t test this guy anymore. All they keep getting is a pregnancy positive, so I guess it’s back to the lab for them.
    But then you know what they say: two’s androgyny, three’s a crowd.

5. summerof67 - Dec 10, 2009 at 12:01 PM

Yes, Mikey really has gotten a lot of use from that towel that says “Don’t panic.”
    He is a class act, a true gentleman and WS MVP for 2007. We’ll miss him in Boston, but his hip may respond to the warmer weather in Texas. I wish him nothing but the best.

6. Old Gator - Dec 10, 2009 at 12:18 PM

I agree, Mike was a class act down here and has continued to be a community asset in a big way during the offseason. I remember him from his days as the star of the Coral Gables High School baseball team, which gives you some idea of why I go by the handle Old Gator. He’s also an enthusiastic and unabashed booster of the developing FIU athletics program (although having attended and also taught at a rival Florida university with a nationally ranked athletic program, I must admit to a certain degree of bemusement over this latter activity). I wish him success, because the FIU-U of Miami footbrawl last year was one of the most entertaining things to happen in Miami since Elian Gonzalez and the bigger and meaner the FIU team gets, the closer we get to having full-scale riots like the ones I used to enjoy so much at European soccer games.
    On the downside, his last year with the Feesh really did smack of post-steroid deflation, and his orthopedic issues subsequent to that also evidence some taint. But then, who isn’t tainted? Hell, I’ve lost a lot of weight the past two years and I never even took steroids.

7. Mauro - Dec 10, 2009 at 12:23 PM

Seems like a repeating BOSOX episode: They get the most and the best potential of a player and then, HASTA LA VISTA AMIGO…
    Known cases: Garciaparra, Manny, Pedro, Damon..and the list doesn’t end here..
    It have to be a law in MLB that all trades should be approved by the fans.
    Goshh they don’t learn!!!!
    Hope that they take another 86 years to win again..
    Gracias..Mauro

8. Ray Stefl - Dec 10, 2009 at 12:43 PM

What is Texas going to do with Mike Lowell? We have a solid 3rd baseman in Michael Young. A good defensive player, .300 lifetime average, plus he is younger than Lowell.

9. Old Gator - Dec 10, 2009 at 12:43 PM

Mauro, two points:
    (a) John Henry once owned the Marlins. Like his former factotum Dave Dombrowski, who was once the general manager of the Feesh, Henry seems to have come down with that dread neurological disorder Atrofia pecuniaria at exactly the same time as Dombrowski did. Dr. Aureliano Buendia of La Clinica nacional para el estudio de programas monetarios contraproducentes, writing in El diario de resultados Irreproducible, notes that this amoebic infection has an approximately five year incubation period. That’s about right, and probably accounts for the depressing change in the Beanbags’ employment policies.
    (b) Manny belongs in a different category. He apparently vectored a prion that appeared to be causing El Cynicoma del casa de club, and he needed to be quarantined in Los Angeles to contain its spread in Boston, although he may now have spread Atrofia pecuniaria to the Dodgers – kinda like Max von Sydow carried the plague back to his home town at the end of The Seventh Seal.

10. John - Dec 10, 2009 at 1:18 PM

Can’t keep old players hanging around just because Mauro, unless of course you’re the Yankees. ;-)

11. phe - Dec 10, 2009 at 1:24 PM

I’m with you, Ray. In fact, I would go one further and say the Rangers’ infield is pretty well set all the way around. Is Lowell the replacement for Hank Blaylock? A part of the platoon at DH, and backup at first and third? That’s all I can figure, and, if the numbers are right, its a reduction in payroll.
    God, I hope the Rangers’ sale gets done soon. If not, we’ve got nothing but cost-cutting measures ahead of us, after a pretty encouraging 2009.
    Oh, and btw, OldGator: GWB hasn’t been involved with the Rangers for the past 10 years. The rest of your comments are borderline genius, but you lost some cred with me by using the GWB line. Not that you should care what I think, of course… :)

12. Pat Gray, Cavendish, VT - Dec 10, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Franconia is pulling the trigger on this one. He’s never liked Lowell, who he once called a glorified Butch Hobson. Actually, Hobson was better!

13. Rob - Dec 10, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Yanks have it all wrapped up…until Sabathia breaks down? Definitely nicely played by the Yanks last year, but like Sox in 07 and Tampa in 08, many Yankees had career years, and that’s what it takes. Don’t be surprised if Pettite,CC,AJ doesn’t cut it in 2010.

14. cerio - Dec 16, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Oh man, if I had a penny for every time I heard the “you don’t look (however far along)”. I really never did get big, and when people would ask me when I’m due, they wouldn’t believe me. Seriously, like I’m going to lie and say I’m due any day, when I truly had months to go. Yeah, not likely. Just tell them to stick it…lol

15. shoe lifts - Jan 24, 2010 at 2:08 PM

Fantastic, there are actually some good points on this thread a few of my subscribers might find this worthwhile, I must send a link, thank you.

16. Daren Ditchfield - Jan 25, 2010 at 12:24 PM

IVF and icsi: Most people compare the IVF to multiple births, but after seeing how controled it can be , I’d consider it to be a rather safe and effective treatment that provides qualities of both the natural birth and the arificial insemination. It’s very useful and lovely , but the person themself feels quite a bit better and safer.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester