Dec 10, 2009, 3:50 PM EDT
Matthew noted earlier this afternoon that the Mets have officially submitted an offer to Jason Bay and now Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the initial proposal “is in the range of” the four-year, $60 million deal that Bay rejected from the Red Sox prior to becoming a free agent.
Presumably the Red Sox are still willing to pay him $60 million over four years, which makes it unlikely that a similar offer from the Mets would get the job done. Matthew speculated that a five-year, $75 million offer from New York could work, but it’s somewhat tough to project the market for Bay given that the Mets and Red Sox are really the only teams linked to him in any sort of significant way thus far.
In other words, if it’s more or less just a two-team race for Bay and the Red Sox were to, say, sign Matt Holliday, then suddenly $60 million from the Mets might look pretty good.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 59
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)