Mets' offer to Bay reportedly similar to rejected Red Sox proposal

Dec 10, 2009, 3:50 PM EDT

Matthew noted earlier this afternoon that the Mets have officially submitted an offer to Jason Bay and now Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the initial proposal “is in the range of” the four-year, $60 million deal that Bay rejected from the Red Sox prior to becoming a free agent.
Presumably the Red Sox are still willing to pay him $60 million over four years, which makes it unlikely that a similar offer from the Mets would get the job done. Matthew speculated that a five-year, $75 million offer from New York could work, but it’s somewhat tough to project the market for Bay given that the Mets and Red Sox are really the only teams linked to him in any sort of significant way thus far.
In other words, if it’s more or less just a two-team race for Bay and the Red Sox were to, say, sign Matt Holliday, then suddenly $60 million from the Mets might look pretty good.

1. Lionheart! - Dec 10, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Seattle was linked as well, and Bay said he would enjoy playing there. Do you think 6-102 would get it done for the Mets to lock up Holliday, who is the younger, superior leftfielder? For a couple million more, I’d rather see him donning a Mets uni in 2010.

2. Arendell - Dec 10, 2009 at 4:16 PM

If the $$ are equal.. J-Bay may stay. But with the way the Sox are dealing, The backwards trend may just push him to the Mets offer And the Soxs wanted a #1 pick for him. So to offset the one lost for Scooter. NO way,this way. Since the mets pick is protected for them. Thay lose no higher than a second round pick.
    Still the sox can go after Matt H.. Withthe long tearm goal of Westmoreland in CF and Joko in right. Or Kalish/Place/Reddick/Bates.

3. Old Gator - Dec 10, 2009 at 5:47 PM

It strikes me as completely consistent with the form of fractal logic by which the Mutts have assembled their current team of miscreants, frangibles and out-and-out quitters that they would make an offer to someone identical to the offer he had already rejected. You almost find yourself wishing that they had kept M. Donald Grant in cryogenic storage with his brain hooked up to a computer a la Neuromancer so that they could consult him once in a while about their roster architecture.
    Of course, there’s always an offchance that this bunch would accidentally dial up Walt Disney’s cylinder instead, but what the hell, so they take the field wearing mouse ears. That’d be no less ridiculous than the way they’ve played for the last three seasons, would it?

4. AJ Gallo - Dec 11, 2009 at 8:34 AM

Old Gator, you are so right. I had the same thought as I was reading Aaron’s article above. Typical tunnel-vision by the Mets. He rejects an offer from the Red Sox, why in the world do the Mets think he’ll then turn around and accept the same deal with them? Why, because the Mets are “nice guys?” Just flat-out dumb.

5. Fecteau - Dec 11, 2009 at 9:43 AM

In my opinion, the only logic, Old Gator, and AJ Gallo, that the Mets could even have about offering the same deal to Bay is either entertaining a new environment or lower pressure environment. These aren’t completely my feelings, just what I think that NYM Brass could be thinking…
    Although New York has the utmost audacity to expect their beloved Yankees to win a World Series title each year, I don’t see the Mets in the same light as having as much pressure as the Yanks.
    That being said, Bay needs to stay in his Boston for his own sake, let alone the sake of all us BoSox fans. Mets players seem to fall by the wayside. It seems as if their entire roster gets injured. Wright, Reyes, Pedro when he was there, even Mo Vaughn!!
    I also noticed Holliday’s batting average and slugging percentage suck while on the A’s. Bay at least led the team in overall offensive production. When he was hitting, the Sox were winning…

6. Old Gator - Dec 11, 2009 at 10:24 AM

Well, I hardly think that being covered on a daily basis by Rupert Murdoch’s barely literate character assassins from the New York Post, or by the journalistic predator drones and slamhounds from the other New York papers and radio stations, constitutes a move to a lower pressure environment. To say that being on the Mutts is not as bad as being made Borg is like saying that being hit by lightning is not quite as bad as being hit by a Hellfire missile. I mean, it’s probably true, but in the final analysis, what difference does it make to the one who’s been hit?

7. Dazedcat - Dec 11, 2009 at 1:03 PM

Do a lookup on Jason Bays’ splits for last season. With a two strike count the opposing pitcher owns the guy. Bay is not a two strike hitter, not even close. He’s not worth this kind of money.
    I’m actually surprised Epstein offered Bay the money that he did.

8. Fyah - Dec 11, 2009 at 3:08 PM

Old Gator,
    Who do you think you are Denis Miller? I have read a few of your posts and you seem to have good baseball knowledge but lay off all the bombastic rhetoric and just talk baseball.

9. Old Gator - Dec 11, 2009 at 6:51 PM

I do have good baseball knowledge, going back to the days when I was a little kid sitting with my grandfather, who could barely speak English, as we used to watch the Yankee games on his little tiny black and white TV in the big wooden console. Mel Allen, Red Barber and a rookie announcer named Phil Rizzuto. Grandpa would call plays two batters ahead and almost always be right. He set the standard for me, but I ain’t got there yet and probably never will.
    Dennis Miller never much impressed me much. I was a child of some humorists whose names might not mean much to you anymore: Lord Buckley, Lenny Bruce, Gerard Hoffnung, Kurt Vonnegut Jr., Soupy Sales, William M. Gaines (piouyit!) and Don Martin, and, at least when I went away to summer camp and was relatively unsupervised, Henry Miller (no relation to Dennis, and much funnier), Belle Barth and Doug Clark and the Hot Nuts, who were once considered transgressiv, and ultimately from Robert Coover’s immortal classic The Universal Baseball Association, J. Henry Waugh, Proprietor. I’m still trying to interpret the last chapter of that thing, convinced that when I do a secret compartment in my wall will open as if by magic and reveal an altar upon which will be a mint condition Topps Babe Ruth rookie baseball card, the gum still chewable. And I learned one other very important thing: those who “just talk baseball” got their sports from the New York Times sports section (now what fun was that?), while my grandfather got his from the far superior and far more mordant Yiddish sportswriters on the Forvitz.

10. bob podolak - Dec 11, 2009 at 7:01 PM

Everybody screamed when Rush Limbaugh moved into the sports arena. Well what in the heck is Keith Oberman doing on NBC sports on sunday. He is a hate spewin liberal that makes me sick to my stomach. As soon as I see his face or here his voice, we ( my wife and myself) turn the channel. Amen Bob and Melanie.

11. Old Gator - Dec 11, 2009 at 10:54 PM

Not everybody; just those of us who wanted big league sports to retain what little scraps of dignity it had left. And I assure you that if Keith Olberman ever says anything as stupid as the remark that the Hindenberg Clone Who Walks Like an Anthropoid made about marketing of Black atheletes, he would be distanced just as far from the scene as Limberger was. However, I think the chance that your favorite “hate-spewing” (ie, averse to neoconmen and neofascism) liberal will do that are slim and none, Keith being neither a bigot nor an idiot blowhard.

12. SHOE LIFTS - Jan 29, 2010 at 12:31 PM

Being short is not a sin, if everyone else around you is taller, it is obvious you would desire to look taller too.

13. HEEL PADS - Jan 29, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Shoe inserts are wedge-shaped inserts which slip in the heel portion of a shoe, with the intention of adding elevation under one or both feet for therapeutic reasons. People who endure foot pain when wearing shoes for an extended time. Heel lifts can relieve suffering. Shoe inserts are also useful for those who wish to increase their height.

14. Chance Bently - Jan 31, 2010 at 7:04 PM

To marketplace in footings of quality rather than cost, and in order to specialise consequently, you want to pursue the ordinary format of the 4 Ps marketing plan. That is, Price, Product, Place and Promotion evidently you know the main properties of the merchandise, and the cost, but for place you should think approximately the type of individuals who are willing to give over 4x price of competing merchandise whereas the inferior option may be sold where accent is on cost, your merchandise will be suited to places/distributors where the clients will be willing to pay for high-performance. Thank you for this article! I’ve just learned a truly full site about panda marketing Attempt it!

15. Whitney Hackner - Feb 3, 2010 at 11:32 AM

Hello there, super blog, I thouroughly enjoyed reading this. the post gave me the kick to try my own article, please check my blog by clicking my name at the top of this comment, thanks

All the trade deadline news to know