Phillies to include Cole Hamels in a Halladay deal?

Dec 10, 2009, 8:25 AM EST

Mark Feinsand of the Daily News is reporting that it’s a possibility. Rosenthal is saying we’re more likely to see J.A. Happ in a package for Halladay, along with either Michael Taylor or Domonic Brown.

Either way, it’s now sounding like the Roy Halladay sweepstakes is shaping up to be a battle between Anaheim and Philly.

1. Old Gator - Dec 11, 2009 at 3:52 PM

Check out some of my other posts and see what I have to say about the management of the Feesh. On this point, I agree with you more than you do. Frankly, while Loria was trying – comically, I might add – to blackmail south Floridians into building him what is now rising on the archaeological site formerly known as the Orange Bowl with public money while our school system implodes like Sarah Palin’s skull in a steep atmospheric pressure differential, he was threatening to move the team to San Antonio. If he had, I strongly suspect he would have tried to generate some rivalry with the Diamondbacks by renaming the team the San Antonio Sidewinders.
    No doubt the Diamondbacks would then merely have renamed themselves the Kingsnakes, and any armchair herpetologist, even one on a subsistence budget, knows where that would lead.

2. Mike Z - Dec 11, 2009 at 4:21 PM

I have read many of your posts and I understand your frustration with your fish, or I should say Loria. It is actually impressive the few seasons the Marlins have put together over the years and made those stretch runs in the NL East with that penny pinching owner. The Phils know all about an owner who puts the bare minimum back into the team. Dont get to 10,000 loses spending cash on talent. That may be the reason many Philly sports fans are as angry as they are.
    Anyway Gator, its not personal and I understand where the distaste comes from.

3. Old Gator - Dec 11, 2009 at 9:44 PM

Thanks Mike, but keep in mind that the two years in which the Marlins won, 1997 and 2003, they were hardly underfunded. In ’97 Wayne Huizinga splurged – he had brought in Gary Sheffield and Bobby Bonilla, fresh from his turbulent years withy the Mutts, went out and got Al Leiter, and then Dombrowski made the brilliant trade to bring in somneone who will be familiar to you, Darren Daulton, who was the real sparkplug and animating spirit behind the team’s late surge.
    As soon as that season was over, Huizinga dismantled the team and Dombrowski began the remarkable series of trades that, ultimately, blossomed in the totally unanticipated 2003 run. During that ’03 run, the Feesh had signed Pudge Rodriguez in the offseason to a $10 million one year contract and he became the sparkplug of the team, went out and got Juan Pierre in a great trade with the Rocky Mountain Oysters, Jeff Conine back from the Orioles, and Uegeth Urbina from the Rangers. Their payroll that year peaked at something like $60 million – not nearly Borg territory or even Beanbag country, but now, six years later, it is over a third less and right at or near the bottom of the show. Loria promised there’d be no dismantling at the end of 2003. He just flat out lied to us, obfuscating his merry pocketing of his share of the luxury tax by waiting a year to do his Dirty Dozen number on the clubhouse.
    And if you noticed the salary dump of Matt Lindstrom at the winter meetings – a trade for a bona fide big league closer when he’s healthy that netted a handful of midlevel prospects – you could see the process continuing. When you consider how many games the Feesh’s bullpen has given away over the past two years – the difference, it is fair to say, between fourth place and the wild card both years – you can understand why such a move really would dishearten a Feesh fan (even though some of us were moderately amused to see the Cubs grab Kevin Gregg and his patented gopher pitch, which nicely rejuvenated the undead billy goat; no one seemed to notice that when he took off his Clark Kent glasses, he bore a striking resemblance to Steve Bartman).

4. Michal Yergin - Jan 26, 2010 at 5:13 PM

I just couldnt leave your website before saying that I really enjoyed the quality information you offer to your visitors… Will be back often to check up on new stuff you post!

5. Sold - Feb 10, 2010 at 3:42 AM

Am I dead, Angel? Cause this must be heaven!

6. Suzan Bridging - Feb 21, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. If I m in hell

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4650)