Report: Mets make offers to Bay, Molina

Dec 10, 2009, 2:23 PM EDT

Update – SI.com’s Jon Heyman tweets that the Bay offer was for about $65 million over four years.
*****
Sources confirmed to Newsday’s David Lennon that the Mets have made initial offers to Jason Bay and Bengie Molina.
There was no doubt the proposal to Molina was coming, though there’s no word yet whether he’s being offered the multiyear guarantee he desires. The guess here is that Molina will end up getting $12 million for two years, whether it’s from the Mets or another team.
Bay will be considerably more expensive, of course, but the Mets may have a chance to sign him anyway, as indications are that neither the Angels nor Mariners have stepped up as serious suitors. Bay reportedly turned down a four-year, $60 million pact from the Red Sox at the start of the offseason. If that’s still out there for him — and there’s a chance that it is — then the Mets may have to go to $75 million for five years in order to have a chance to sign him. The Red Sox, though, have turned their attentions to Adrian Beltre and might currently be more focused on upgrading at third than in left field, where they do have Jeremy Hermida as a fallback.

1. Fast Eddy - Dec 10, 2009 at 2:56 PM

As much as I like Bay, he is not going to help the Mets. I think the problem is that he is an April through July player. Even in this past season, as with the Pirates, he fades fast late in the season, when he is needed the most. Pennants are won in Sept., not May. He is a better than average player overall, however not at crunch time. Certainly not worth 15 Mil. for 4 or 5 years.

2. Dulany - Dec 10, 2009 at 3:40 PM

You’re right, Eddy. I’m a huge Red Sox fan and watch almost all the games. I’m really hoping they do not re-sign the guy. He is an overrated defender and strikes out a ton. It’ll be interesting to see who offers him the best deal.

3. John Pileggi - Dec 10, 2009 at 3:51 PM

But he does offer an upgrade over Angel Pagan, who is a good player, but not an everyday guy.

4. BOB NOE - Dec 10, 2009 at 3:54 PM

I THINK THE METS SHOULD CONCNTRATE ON GETTING A GOOD STARTER; THE OTHER PLAYERS WILL STILL BE AVAILABLE WHEN THEY ESTABLISH A GOOD ROTATION.

5. Ladyfan - Dec 10, 2009 at 4:03 PM

Gentlemen, I must agree. As a lifelong Sox fan, I cannot reasonably agree with the outrageous price Bay is asking. He simply has not earned it. I hope the Mets want him badly enough to keep the Sox from making another VERY expensive mistakes. We are still living with the J. D. Drew fiasco, one is enough.

6. Joey B - Dec 10, 2009 at 4:06 PM

As a RS fan, I’d like to have kept him, but that’s really more the fan in me, my heart rather than my head. I think Cameron for 1/2 years at $7-8 per, with no comp, is a much better bet than even the 4 year $60M we offered, especially taking back two picks.
    I still hope Seattle signs him so we can get the #16(?), rather than the NYM’s #2, but if it wasn’t the NYMs #2, it might’ve been the LAA #1, not a significant difference.

7. JayT - Dec 10, 2009 at 4:26 PM

@Fast Eddy: Did you even watch a game in September or October? That was Bay’s best month last season. He was bad in June and July, not the end of the year.

8. Arendell - Dec 10, 2009 at 4:30 PM

I am very much for J-Bay moving on. The Red Sox will get a lame pick for him now. Since everyone now knows what we know. He made Manny and M> Greenwall look like gold glovers in the out feild.
    Please LAA make him an offer of 4y+@64mil and 1y team op. 250k buy out

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. T. Wood (5186)