Dec 10, 2009, 2:23 PM EDT
Update – SI.com’s Jon Heyman tweets that the Bay offer was for about $65 million over four years.
Sources confirmed to Newsday’s David Lennon that the Mets have made initial offers to Jason Bay and Bengie Molina.
There was no doubt the proposal to Molina was coming, though there’s no word yet whether he’s being offered the multiyear guarantee he desires. The guess here is that Molina will end up getting $12 million for two years, whether it’s from the Mets or another team.
Bay will be considerably more expensive, of course, but the Mets may have a chance to sign him anyway, as indications are that neither the Angels nor Mariners have stepped up as serious suitors. Bay reportedly turned down a four-year, $60 million pact from the Red Sox at the start of the offseason. If that’s still out there for him — and there’s a chance that it is — then the Mets may have to go to $75 million for five years in order to have a chance to sign him. The Red Sox, though, have turned their attentions to Adrian Beltre and might currently be more focused on upgrading at third than in left field, where they do have Jeremy Hermida as a fallback.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)