Dec 10, 2009, 2:23 PM EDT
Update – SI.com’s Jon Heyman tweets that the Bay offer was for about $65 million over four years.
Sources confirmed to Newsday’s David Lennon that the Mets have made initial offers to Jason Bay and Bengie Molina.
There was no doubt the proposal to Molina was coming, though there’s no word yet whether he’s being offered the multiyear guarantee he desires. The guess here is that Molina will end up getting $12 million for two years, whether it’s from the Mets or another team.
Bay will be considerably more expensive, of course, but the Mets may have a chance to sign him anyway, as indications are that neither the Angels nor Mariners have stepped up as serious suitors. Bay reportedly turned down a four-year, $60 million pact from the Red Sox at the start of the offseason. If that’s still out there for him — and there’s a chance that it is — then the Mets may have to go to $75 million for five years in order to have a chance to sign him. The Red Sox, though, have turned their attentions to Adrian Beltre and might currently be more focused on upgrading at third than in left field, where they do have Jeremy Hermida as a fallback.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 16
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)