Dec 10, 2009, 2:23 PM EDT
Update – SI.com’s Jon Heyman tweets that the Bay offer was for about $65 million over four years.
Sources confirmed to Newsday’s David Lennon that the Mets have made initial offers to Jason Bay and Bengie Molina.
There was no doubt the proposal to Molina was coming, though there’s no word yet whether he’s being offered the multiyear guarantee he desires. The guess here is that Molina will end up getting $12 million for two years, whether it’s from the Mets or another team.
Bay will be considerably more expensive, of course, but the Mets may have a chance to sign him anyway, as indications are that neither the Angels nor Mariners have stepped up as serious suitors. Bay reportedly turned down a four-year, $60 million pact from the Red Sox at the start of the offseason. If that’s still out there for him — and there’s a chance that it is — then the Mets may have to go to $75 million for five years in order to have a chance to sign him. The Red Sox, though, have turned their attentions to Adrian Beltre and might currently be more focused on upgrading at third than in left field, where they do have Jeremy Hermida as a fallback.
- Report: Mets “pushing very hard” for Carlos Gomez 10
- Rangers “now clear-cut favorites” for Cole Hamels 38
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 56
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 66
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 47
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)