Report: Rangers, Red Sox agree to Lowell deal

Dec 10, 2009, 12:17 AM EDT

FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal tweets that the Red Sox and Rangers have come to a preliminary agreement on a Mike Lowell for Max Ramirez trade, pending physicals and approval of Red Sox ownership.
According to Rosenthal, the Red Sox are picking up almost all of Lowell’s $12 million salary to make it happen. No mention is made of Lowell having waived his no-trade clause to approve the trade.
The assumption is that the Red Sox will now go out and sign Adrian Beltre to play third base, though there’s nothing currently suggesting a deal is close. They also have the option of shifting Kevin Youkilis to the hot corner and acquiring first baseman.
You can read our initial commentary on the talks here.

1. JL - Dec 10, 2009 at 1:26 AM

Ah, yes, the Red Sox: where other organizations’ prospects go to wither and die waiting their turn in depth charts lined with glass ceilings. Why do the Red Sox even bother trading for players they’ll obviously never use? Max Ramirez is a decent-enough hitter to warrant a significant major league role, a chance he’ll never get with the Red Sox. Yes, I’m bitter because the Red Sox ruin all my fantasy prospects.

2. DFW Red Sox Fan - Dec 10, 2009 at 1:43 AM

Being a Red Sox fan I hate to see Lowell leave but at least I will get to watch him play here in Texas. The Rangers are a young team and Lowell’s leadership could have a big impact. If healthy he should be able to hit between 20-25 home runs playing at the Rangers stadium half the season. A good trade for the Rangers. I hate see the Red Sox breaking up their 07 championship team but that’s the way it goes I guess.

3. honvetops - Dec 10, 2009 at 2:04 AM

God Bless You Mike and thanks for great memories, red sux management
    go party with Tiger, cause I feel like I’m getting screwed !

4. Great Sports Fan - Dec 10, 2009 at 2:43 AM

Kevin Youlis will move to 3B
    and the Red Sox will make a big push
    to trade for Miguel Cabrera to play 1B

5. Great Sports Fan - Dec 10, 2009 at 2:43 AM

Kevin Youlis will move to 3B
    and the Red Sox will make a big push
    to trade for Miguel Cabrera to play 1B

6. JBerardi - Dec 10, 2009 at 3:00 AM

Mike Lowell, 09, on the road: .276/.331/.382
    Adrian Beltre, 09, on the road: .279/.324/.393

Safeco is a horrible field for righties, Fenway is an awesome field for righties. That account for most of the offensive difference between the two. Meanwhile, Beltre is one of the best defensive third basemen in the game, whereas Lowell was a statue at third in ’09. Miguel Cabrera or Adrian Gonzalez would be great and all, but even Beltre would be a nice upgrade. Lowell simply had to go.

7. hammer111 - Dec 10, 2009 at 7:56 AM

Mike Lowell is a class act, and a clutch big time player. I wish him the best for the future, and thanks for playing the game the right way.

8. Florida Sox Transplant - Dec 10, 2009 at 8:23 AM

Mike Lowell is a class act. Thanks for the memories.

9. Big Brad - Dec 10, 2009 at 8:49 AM

I can’t figure out where the Rangers will use him. Doesn’t make much sense they would sit Michael Young to play Mike Young.

10. Big Brad - Dec 10, 2009 at 8:52 AM

Sorry, I meant to say that it doesn’t make much sense they would sit Michael Young to play Mike Lowell. Although I have had Lowell on my fantasy teams over the years and he has done quite well for me.

11. Jeremy - Dec 10, 2009 at 8:54 AM

Your post made this entire article worth reading. It’s funny/sad/true all at the same time.

12. Joey B - Dec 10, 2009 at 8:55 AM

Good luck, Mike. You were great with us, but all good things come to an end.
    I’m surprised it isn’t mentioned, but what does this mean for Tek? I’m thinking that Ramirez is past the point of needing any more minor league seasoning.

13. Jamie - Dec 10, 2009 at 9:18 AM

I assume he would DH for Texas.

14. Henry - Dec 10, 2009 at 9:48 AM

Throughout his career, but particularly while he was so visible to me as a BOSOX fan, Mike Lowell has served a reminder of why baseball is such a great sport. He shows up on-time, practices hards, plays the best he can play, is a consummate teammate on and off the field – all with a simple smile and no “look at me” flash. One of the few true examples of what a big league idol should be to today’s youth, especially through the whole ‘roid era.
    Thanks for the contributions, efforts and memories Mike. We’ll miss you more than you’ll know.
    God bless you and have fun in Texas

15. hop - Dec 10, 2009 at 10:12 AM

Eat that salary redsuks! hahahahhaha, might as well do the same with big sloppy while you are at it cause he’s toast!

16. Pilothawkeye - Dec 10, 2009 at 10:23 AM

I am a Yankees fan who appreciated, admired, and respected Mike Lowell for his professionalism and his work ethic. While I can understand why the Red Sox organization feels the need to give Mr. Lowell his walking papers, I wonder if Mike ever expressed a desire to retire as a Red Sox. If he did, then I feel that the Sox owed Mike that courtesy as a thank you for his years of faithful service. Yes, Mike has slowed down at 3rd, but he could still hit.
    I will enjoy watching Mike play for the Rangers; at least the Yankees won’t have to face him 18 times a year.

17. richard - Dec 10, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Your Crazy

18. richard - Dec 10, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Your Crazy

19. Dawn Cushman - Dec 10, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Hey HOP – You’re an a******e! Mike Lowell has been a great, PROFESSIONAL player. Red Sox Nation loves him. You, on the other hand, could use a punch in the face!

20. Carrie - Dec 10, 2009 at 11:54 AM

Mikey Lowell is a class act, on and off the field…he is will always be loved by Red Sox Nation. He is a player that loves the game and plays it as hard as he can, he has some good years ahead, and I wish him all the luck in the world…Hop, your a clown, and probably don’t belong on a thread about the Red Sox, if only more Yankee fans could have the class of Pilothawkeye, take notes Hop, because you need all the help you can get…

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3891)