Dec 10, 2009, 12:17 AM EDT
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal tweets that the Red Sox and Rangers have come to a preliminary agreement on a Mike Lowell for Max Ramirez trade, pending physicals and approval of Red Sox ownership.
According to Rosenthal, the Red Sox are picking up almost all of Lowell’s $12 million salary to make it happen. No mention is made of Lowell having waived his no-trade clause to approve the trade.
The assumption is that the Red Sox will now go out and sign Adrian Beltre to play third base, though there’s nothing currently suggesting a deal is close. They also have the option of shifting Kevin Youkilis to the hot corner and acquiring first baseman.
You can read our initial commentary on the talks here.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (85)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)