Dec 10, 2009, 12:17 AM EDT
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal tweets that the Red Sox and Rangers have come to a preliminary agreement on a Mike Lowell for Max Ramirez trade, pending physicals and approval of Red Sox ownership.
According to Rosenthal, the Red Sox are picking up almost all of Lowell’s $12 million salary to make it happen. No mention is made of Lowell having waived his no-trade clause to approve the trade.
The assumption is that the Red Sox will now go out and sign Adrian Beltre to play third base, though there’s nothing currently suggesting a deal is close. They also have the option of shifting Kevin Youkilis to the hot corner and acquiring first baseman.
You can read our initial commentary on the talks here.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 2
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 55
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 99
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 70
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)