Dec 10, 2009, 12:17 AM EDT
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal tweets that the Red Sox and Rangers have come to a preliminary agreement on a Mike Lowell for Max Ramirez trade, pending physicals and approval of Red Sox ownership.
According to Rosenthal, the Red Sox are picking up almost all of Lowell’s $12 million salary to make it happen. No mention is made of Lowell having waived his no-trade clause to approve the trade.
The assumption is that the Red Sox will now go out and sign Adrian Beltre to play third base, though there’s nothing currently suggesting a deal is close. They also have the option of shifting Kevin Youkilis to the hot corner and acquiring first baseman.
You can read our initial commentary on the talks here.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)