Dec 10, 2009, 12:17 AM EST
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal tweets that the Red Sox and Rangers have come to a preliminary agreement on a Mike Lowell for Max Ramirez trade, pending physicals and approval of Red Sox ownership.
According to Rosenthal, the Red Sox are picking up almost all of Lowell’s $12 million salary to make it happen. No mention is made of Lowell having waived his no-trade clause to approve the trade.
The assumption is that the Red Sox will now go out and sign Adrian Beltre to play third base, though there’s nothing currently suggesting a deal is close. They also have the option of shifting Kevin Youkilis to the hot corner and acquiring first baseman.
You can read our initial commentary on the talks here.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 0
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)