Dec 10, 2009, 2:11 AM EDT
Sources told SI.com’s Jon Heyman that the deal sending Rafael Soriano to the Rays is done, pending a physical.
In return, the Braves are set to receive Jesse Chavez, the right-handed reliever the Rays previously picked up from the Pirates for Akinori Iwamura this winter.
The deal nets the Rays a closer without forcing them to forfeit their first-round pick or a property nearly as valuable as said pick. Chavez, 25, had a 4.01 ERA and a 47/22 K/BB ratio in 67 1/3 innings for Pittsburgh last season. Braves fans will likely have a hard time distinguishing him from Manny Acosta.
Soriano joins a pen that’s also set to include J.P. Howell, Dan Wheeler, Grant Balfour, Lance Cormier and Randy Choate. He can’t necessarily be counted on to throw 70 innings again, but he’s a dominant reliever when healthy and there’s a definite chance that he’ll become the first Ray to save 30 games since Danys Baez in 2005.
At approximately $8 million for 2010, Soriano doesn’t come cheap. The Rays, though, viewed landing a closer as a top priority and don’t have any other glaring needs that will require a big investment. Since they didn’t have to commit to him for multiple years, it was a deal worth doing.
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 21
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 38
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 21
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 32
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)