Dec 10, 2009, 2:11 AM EDT
Sources told SI.com’s Jon Heyman that the deal sending Rafael Soriano to the Rays is done, pending a physical.
In return, the Braves are set to receive Jesse Chavez, the right-handed reliever the Rays previously picked up from the Pirates for Akinori Iwamura this winter.
The deal nets the Rays a closer without forcing them to forfeit their first-round pick or a property nearly as valuable as said pick. Chavez, 25, had a 4.01 ERA and a 47/22 K/BB ratio in 67 1/3 innings for Pittsburgh last season. Braves fans will likely have a hard time distinguishing him from Manny Acosta.
Soriano joins a pen that’s also set to include J.P. Howell, Dan Wheeler, Grant Balfour, Lance Cormier and Randy Choate. He can’t necessarily be counted on to throw 70 innings again, but he’s a dominant reliever when healthy and there’s a definite chance that he’ll become the first Ray to save 30 games since Danys Baez in 2005.
At approximately $8 million for 2010, Soriano doesn’t come cheap. The Rays, though, viewed landing a closer as a top priority and don’t have any other glaring needs that will require a big investment. Since they didn’t have to commit to him for multiple years, it was a deal worth doing.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)