Dec 10, 2009, 2:11 AM EDT
Sources told SI.com’s Jon Heyman that the deal sending Rafael Soriano to the Rays is done, pending a physical.
In return, the Braves are set to receive Jesse Chavez, the right-handed reliever the Rays previously picked up from the Pirates for Akinori Iwamura this winter.
The deal nets the Rays a closer without forcing them to forfeit their first-round pick or a property nearly as valuable as said pick. Chavez, 25, had a 4.01 ERA and a 47/22 K/BB ratio in 67 1/3 innings for Pittsburgh last season. Braves fans will likely have a hard time distinguishing him from Manny Acosta.
Soriano joins a pen that’s also set to include J.P. Howell, Dan Wheeler, Grant Balfour, Lance Cormier and Randy Choate. He can’t necessarily be counted on to throw 70 innings again, but he’s a dominant reliever when healthy and there’s a definite chance that he’ll become the first Ray to save 30 games since Danys Baez in 2005.
At approximately $8 million for 2010, Soriano doesn’t come cheap. The Rays, though, viewed landing a closer as a top priority and don’t have any other glaring needs that will require a big investment. Since they didn’t have to commit to him for multiple years, it was a deal worth doing.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)