Dec 10, 2009, 11:02 AM EDT
So says Jayson Stark. The idea being for Smoltz to be a “back-of-bullpen weapon.” Given Brad Lidge’s performance last year he could be a Nerf gun and still represent an improvement.
Smoltz has long been on record as preferring starting to coming out of the pen. Earlier in the week the Nationals reportedly had interest in him. One would assume that they’d offer him a spot in the rotation — and a mentoring role to Stephen Strasburg — if he were so inclined. But the Nationals are going to lose a lot of games. If he goes to Philadelphia, he can win.
Starting or winning? We’ll soon find out what’s more important to John Smoltz.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)