The Red Sox acquire Boof Bonser

Dec 10, 2009, 10:07 AM EST

OK, so the Sox did one thing before they left town: they got Boof Bonser, the pitcher who was DFA’d by the Twins the other day.

As Aaron mentioned the other day, Bonser was a starter who ultimately lost his job due to not being a very good starter in 2008.  Then he had rotator cuff surgery last February.  He could be a useful reliever, as he has a 55/16 K/BB ratio in 52
innings out of the pen.

1. Jason @ IIATMS - Dec 10, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Any truth to the rumor that Bonser takes up two spots on the RedSox 40 man roster?
    /fat joke

2. Old Gator - Dec 10, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Boof Bonser. If he’s fat, it’s probably an anxiety pathogenisis due to growing up with such a ridiculous name – or, perhaps, for being so configured in his personality that his elementary school peers bestowed the name upon him. Buddha only knows what that must have been all about.
    That brings us the the question of J. J. Putz….

3. TigerS Boy ToY - Dec 10, 2009 at 11:39 AM

While I certainly welcome the news the Boof is back I can only hope that Bootsie will also find somewhere to land.

4. Dan - Dec 10, 2009 at 1:04 PM

His birth name is actually “John Bonser” but he legally changed his name to “Boof”. On purpose.

5. TF in Tampa - Dec 10, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Does anyone believe in reincarmation?
    Back in the 60’s, I named my 1st dog “Bootsie”. He was a good boy at first, then he chased down & bit the newspaper delivery boy while he was trying to get away on his bike.
    He had to be quarantined for a while. He hated being in the kennel so much that he chewed his way thru a chain link fence. My folks finally had him put down… turned into a Mad Dog I guess.
    I hope Bootsie the baseball boy has better luck….he’ll need it!!!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5230)
  2. M. Kemp (3108)
  3. W. Middlebrooks (2800)
  4. C. McGehee (2793)