The Rule 5 draft is over

Dec 10, 2009, 10:25 AM EDT

Continuing where we left off earlier . . .

• The Jays pick Zech Zinicola from the Nationals;

• The Brewers pick Chuck Lofgren from the Indians;

• The Cubs take Mike Parisi from the Cardinals;

• The Rays take Armando Zerpa from the Red Sox;

• The Mariners take pitcher Kanekoa Texeira from the Yankees.  How many dim Yankees fans thought it was Mark?

• The Giants take Steve Johnson from the Orioles;

• The Cardinals pick Ben Jukich from the Reds; and

• The Phillies take Kenneth Herndon from the Angels.

I take it back: if you know these people you didn’t draft them and you’re not their momma.  They’re so anonymous that to know them you have be one of these people.

1. The Great and Powerful OZ - Dec 10, 2009 at 10:41 AM

Yeah, I’ve heard of 4 of these guys. That means I’m either secretly leading a double life as a minor league ballplayer, or I need to get out more.

2. ecp - Dec 10, 2009 at 11:21 AM

Texeira sticks out in my mind – not because of Mark – but because he came over from the Chisox in the Swisher deal.
    I feel compelled to point out that you missed one, Craig – the DBacks took Zach Kroenke from the Yankees. He sticks out in my mind because speculation yesterday was that the Yanks would select him themselves because they were having second thoughts about not protecting him.

3. OsandRoyals - Dec 10, 2009 at 11:25 AM

Similarly to ecp i recognize Steve Johnson because he came over in a recent trade. He was part of the Sherrill trade along with Josh Bell. Of course more people might know him as the son of the Orioles broadcaster. And I’m pretty sure that the Giants will keep him the whole year

4. Richie - Dec 10, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Well, Mariners fans now believe that Jack Z can do anything, which includes somehow acquiring Mark Texeira for nothing.

5. TigerS Boy ToY - Dec 10, 2009 at 11:45 AM

Who did the Yankees pick, this list is incomplete.
    WHO CARES ABOUT THE OTHER TEAMS……..
    CRAIG, You probably caught that Yankee fan in Iowa, FASCINATING.

6. Wooden U. Lykteneau - Dec 10, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Or, again, you’ve actually seen them play. There are folks that do go to minor league games. I even heard there’s a magazine that keeps track of these guys, too. Something America. Kind of fuzzy right now.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3449)